Why Does the Displacement Formula Include a 1/2 Factor in Physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the equation x = vt + ½t² and how it relates to constant acceleration. The question is raised about why the formula x=at² does not give the displacement in this case. A clarification is given regarding the average speed and its relation to the missing ½-factor in the equation.
shinni
I have just started out with Physics, so please don't expect to much :)

I've tried by myself to figure out where x = vt + ½t² comes from; I know (because I've read) how to deduce it from a v versus t graph, and that it only works with a constant acceleration.

My question is as follows:

If -for any instant in time- :
v = x / t
a = v / t
are true; Then, if i do this:

x = vt and v = at
Then subsitute the second in the first:
x = at²
I obviously miss the ½-factor from the area under the graph..
What does this formula (x=at²) tell me in this case? I don't really see why exactly this wouldn't also give me the displacement..

Could anyone be so kind to clear this up for me :) I'd hate to constantly have this question in the back of my mind.. just knowing that 'this is how it is'..

Thanks in advance!
Evert

Physics news on Phys.org
shinni said:
If -for any instant in time- :
v = x / t
Since the speed is not constant, [itex]\Delta x / \Delta t[/itex] gives the average speed, not the final speed at time t.

For constant acceleration, the average speed is given by:
[tex]v_{ave} = (v_i + v_f)/2[/tex]

So, if you start from rest (t=0, v_i=0, x=0), then [itex]v_f = 2 v_{ave} = 2x/t[/itex].

That should explain your missing ½-factor.

I appreciate your curiosity and desire to fully understand the concepts of 1D kinematics. The equation x = vt + ½t² comes from the definition of displacement, which is the change in position over time. In this case, we are considering motion with constant acceleration, so the equation simplifies to x = vt + ½at². This can also be written as x = (v + v0)t/2, where v0 is the initial velocity.

To understand why the ½ factor is necessary, let's look at the equation v = at. This equation tells us that the velocity at any given time is equal to the acceleration multiplied by the time. However, when we integrate this equation (which is essentially finding the area under the curve on a velocity vs. time graph), we get the equation x = ½at², which is the equation for displacement. The ½ factor is necessary because when we integrate, we are finding the average velocity over a given time interval, which is half of the final velocity.

So in summary, the equation x = at² tells us the displacement for an object with constant acceleration, but it is missing the ½ factor because it is not taking into account the average velocity over a given time interval. I hope this helps clear up any confusion and allows you to continue your journey in understanding physics. Keep asking questions and seeking knowledge!

1. What is 1D Kinematics?

1D Kinematics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects in one dimension, usually represented by a straight line. It involves studying the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What are the basic equations used in 1D Kinematics?

The basic equations used in 1D Kinematics are:

• Displacement (Δx) = Final position (xf) - Initial position (xi)
  • Average velocity (v) = Δx/Δt
  • Acceleration (a) = Δv/Δt
  • Final velocity (vf) = vi + at
  • Displacement (Δx) = vit + ½at²

3. How do you solve a 1D Kinematics problem?

To solve a 1D Kinematics problem, you need to identify the given and unknown variables, choose an appropriate equation that relates these variables, and then solve for the unknown variable using algebraic manipulation. It is important to pay attention to the units and use the correct equations depending on whether the object is accelerating or moving at a constant velocity.

4. What is the difference between distance and displacement?

Distance is a scalar quantity that refers to the total length of the path traveled by an object. It is always positive and does not depend on direction. On the other hand, displacement is a vector quantity that refers to the straight line distance and direction between the initial and final position of an object. It can be positive, negative, or zero depending on the direction of motion.

5. How does 1D Kinematics relate to real-world applications?

1D Kinematics is used in various real-world applications, such as calculating the speed of a car, determining the position of an airplane during flight, and predicting the trajectory of a projectile. It also plays a crucial role in understanding and analyzing the motion of objects in sports, such as calculating the velocity of a baseball or the acceleration of a runner. Additionally, 1D Kinematics is essential in the design and development of machines and vehicles that require precise control of motion.