Why don't I get international internships? (Volvo, Nissan)

In summary, the main reason an organization might not offer an intern is because the intern does not have the right background for the job or the intern is from a different country than the organization.
Butters
I'm from eastern part of Europe. Does that make me less likely to get international internships/jobs in England or USA? I've been rejected several times by Volvo and Nissan. There's no way I'm under-qualified already having >1 year industrial working experience and enrolled in master production engineering studies.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you got the rejection letter did it state a reason? Not everyone gets an offer.

Vanadium 50 said:
When you got the rejection letter did it state a reason? Not everyone gets an offer.
They either not get back at all or send an automated response. Some feedback would be great but I don't even make it to the interview so I can't ask.

Many technical postings are very competitive. I have been doing college recruiting recently, and leaving out some important details, the ratio of applicants to offers is probably 200:1 or so.

It is a bit rude not to answer at all. I will at least send an email thanking them for their application and then an email saying that unfortunately we have chosen somebody else for the job. But OK, maybe my opinion will change when I have to answer 200 mails. For me, the main reason for not taking somebody is that the person just doesn't have the right background for the projects that we currently have.

If your eastern-European country is within the EU, then it will be easier to find an internship within the EU. If you are not in the EU, you and I need to apply for a special work/study permit and I need to pay you twice the amount of money. If you are not in the EU, something you could do is a study-abroad program (Erasmus or something similar). You are then enrolled at a foreign university and you can then do an internship in that country while connected to that university. For me, it would be like hiring an local intern instead of an international intern.

For finding an international job, it depends on your grades, your international experience, the university you were at, the languages you speak, the knowledge you have, the competition with 'local' people.

You summed it up pretty well. The competition in high and although I'm attending a decent university it's not from the top few out there.
Makes me think twice before quitting my local job for a semester abroad but I still want to do it.

Why don't I get international internships?

There could be several reasons for not getting international internships with companies like Volvo and Nissan:

1. Am I not qualified enough?

It is possible that your qualifications do not match the requirements of these companies. Make sure you have the necessary skills, experience, and education to be considered for international internships.

2. Are my application materials not strong enough?

Your resume, cover letter, and other application materials play a crucial role in getting selected for international internships. Make sure they are well-written, highlight your relevant experiences, and showcase your skills and achievements.

3. Have I applied to the right positions?

It is important to carefully review the internship positions you are applying for. Make sure they align with your interests, skills, and career goals. Applying to positions that are not a good fit for you could decrease your chances of getting selected.

4. Is there a lack of networking?

Networking is key to landing international internships. Reach out to professionals working in these companies, attend career fairs and networking events, and connect with alumni from your university who may have interned with these companies. This can help you gain insights, referrals, and potentially increase your chances of getting selected.

5. Are there limited opportunities available?

It is possible that there may be a limited number of international internship opportunities available at these companies. Keep searching, and consider expanding your search to other companies and industries that may offer similar international internship experiences.