Why is is this answer incorrect? [Geometry]

• Thread starter uranium_235
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the conversation discusses a geometry question involving an equilateral triangle with a square inscribed within it. The question asks for the length of each side of the triangle, and the conversation explores different methods for finding the answer. The conversation also mentions using the Pythagorean theorem and recognizing the triangles as 30-60-right triangles as simpler solutions to the problem.
uranium_235
Why is this answer incorrect? [Geometry]

---edited
I see where I went wrong, but with my current level of mathematical knowledge, I am at a dead end:

I do not know how do draw this question in ASCII, so I will describe it. There is an equilateral triangle with a square inscribed within it. The square has sides of 6 (cm), it asks how long each side of the triangle is. (NOTE: the top of the square fits perfectly to form another triangle, and the two sides of the square form 2 right triangles)

Now, in the top triangle, since it is as well equilateral, and the base (the top of the square) is 6, so the other sides must be 6.

-let y represent the hypotenuse of the two right triangles formed by the square and the larger triangle.
-let n represent the base of the two right triangles (the side other than that formed by the 6 cm side of the square)
-let x represent the side lengths of the larger equilateral triangle which the square is in.
(it would help to draw this while following along)

AXIOMS:
- [tex] x = 6 + y[/tex]
- [tex] n = ( x - 6 ) / 2 [/tex]
therefore [tex] n = [ ( y + 6 ) - 6 ] / 2
= y / 2 [/tex]
Now, with this all settled...

[tex]y^2 = 6^2 + n^2 [/tex]

[tex]y^2 = 36 + (y/2)^2 [/tex]

[tex]y^2 = 36 + (y^2 /4) [/tex]

[tex]y = \sqrt{36+(y^2/4)}[/tex]

[tex]y = \sqrt{ \frac {36} {1} + \frac {y^2} {4} }[/tex]

[tex]y = \sqrt{ \frac {144 + y^2} {4} }[/tex]

[tex]y = \frac { \sqrt{144+y^2} } {2} [/tex]

Is it possible to derive a value of [tex]y[/tex] from this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Go back up to [tex]y^2=36+\frac{y^2}{4}[/tex] retry from here.

Yes, you can find y from that equation but I think a simpler way would be to recognize that if you take the two triangle are 30-60-right triangles (i.e. if you put them together then they form a equilateral triangle!). The altitude of the triangles is the same as the side of the square. Pythagoras will give you the side of the triangles in short order.

faust9 said:
Go back up to [tex]y^2=36+\frac{y^2}{4}[/tex] retry from here.
Thanks; I always miss out on the simple details in math. :frown:

FAQ: Why is is this answer incorrect? [Geometry]

1. Why is this answer incorrect?

There could be a few reasons why an answer may be incorrect in geometry. It could be due to a miscalculation, incorrect use of a formula, or misunderstanding of a concept. It's important to carefully check your work and identify any errors to find the correct answer.

2. How can I tell if an answer is incorrect?

If you are unsure about the accuracy of your answer in geometry, you can double check your work by using different methods to solve the problem or plugging in your answer into the original equation. You can also ask for feedback from a teacher or classmate to help identify any mistakes.

3. What should I do if my answer doesn't match the answer in the back of the book?

If your answer doesn't match the answer in the back of the book, don't panic. It's possible that the book may have a typo or the problem may have multiple solutions. Go back and review your work, making sure to follow all steps correctly. If you are still unsure, seek help from a teacher or tutor.

4. Why is it important to get the correct answer in geometry?

In geometry, getting the correct answer is important because it shows that you understand the concepts and can apply them correctly. It also allows you to use geometry in real-world situations such as building structures, designing maps, or calculating distances.

5. How can I improve my accuracy in geometry?

To improve your accuracy in geometry, it's important to practice regularly and pay attention to detail. Make sure to show all steps and use correct formulas and units. If you are struggling with a certain concept, seek extra help from a teacher or online resources. Also, don't be afraid to make mistakes and learn from them.

Back