Wordle Lovers - Play the NYT Daily Game

• Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, the player played the New York Times daily word game and found that they had a higher fail rate in playing against Spanish-speaking humans. They also mentioned that the game is similar to a board game they remember from their childhood.
  • #2,101
Wordle 728 3/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I was pretty proud of myself for getting this in 3; until I saw you two (@fresh_42 and especially @OmCheeto )!

Likes OmCheeto
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,102
gmax137 said:
Wordle 728 3/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I was pretty proud of myself for getting this in 3; until I saw you two (@fresh_42 and especially @OmCheeto )!
I have had the same feelings many times before.

• #2,103
gmax137 said:
Wordle 728 3/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›
πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Wordlebot's analysis does that to me all the time. For this game it claims that globally, 1 out of 11 people guessed the answer in 2 tries. My seed word scheduled for today guaranteed I get the answer in 2 tries as there were no other solutions*. So there was zero skill on my part, just dumb luck.

*Wordlebot claims there were 5 possible solutions after my first guess: 2 new words, 2 previous solutions, and the solution. Since I keep track of old solutions and am not privy to new words until after I've finished playing, I had only 1 choice. Today is the first time I've added these 'new words' to my list of potential solutions as there have been 3 in the last 83 games and they really mess up my game. (GUANO, SNAFU, and BALSA)

Likes scottdave
  • #2,104
Wordle 728 4/6*

🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟨🟨🟨⬜⬜
🟨🟩🟨⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #2,105
Wordle 729 3/6

⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

And the best of it: this wasn't luck.

Likes sbrothy
  • #2,106
Wordle 729 4/6*

🟩🟩⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩⬜⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I didn't like that one. *facepalm*.

• #2,107
Wordle 729 4/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›
πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©
πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #2,108
Wordle 729 4/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

sbrothy said:
I didn't like that one. *facepalm*.
Me either!

• #2,110
Wordle 730 4/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬›
β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #2,111
Wordle 730 5/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #2,112
gmax137 said:
Wordle 729 4/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩Me either!
This was and will be the only example where the elimination of vowels was the path to victory. I ruled out "ea" in my seed word, then tested "iou" in the second, and there were not many words left!

• #2,113
Wordle 730 5/6*

🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨⬜🟨
⬜🟩⬜🟨⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I'll admit I used some help solving this one. It had me really .issed off. I guess it shouldn't count. Then again I'm from Denmark and I haven't got a fancy education like you guys. :P

Sometimes my vocabulary just doesn't cut it. Although I actually knew the word when I saw it.

The penultimate try was TAROK. which wasn't even on the AI's list.EDIT: It warms a little that the Wordle Analyzer called my first guess (AUREI) "Super unlucky" and that the AI would have had it in 4. :P

Last edited:
  • #2,115
Wordle 731 3/6*

⬜⬜⬜🟨🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Yeah. Liked this one better. No help this time too.

• #2,116
Wordle 731 5/6

πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #2,117
Wordle 731 4/6

⬜⬜⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟨⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩
I took a few days off

• #2,118
OmCheeto said:
...Today is the first time I've added these 'new words' to my list of potential solutions as there have been 3 in the last 83 games and they really mess up my game. (GUANO, SNAFU, and BALSA)
Yeah, but without some random new words, every so often, the game would soon become boring.

• #2,119
Wordle 731 3/6

πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›
πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

After #730, "KAZOO" I was thinking it is time for an S, T, R, L,.. word

• #2,121
Wordle 732 3/6

β¬›β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

This game will tell us who are the real fans of Grant Sanderson.

• #2,122
Wordle 731 3/6

🟦⬜⬜🟦⬜
🟦🟦🟦⬜🟦
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

Back from vacation.

• #2,123
Wordle 732 4/6

⬜⬜🟧⬜🟧
⬜🟧🟧⬜🟧
🟧⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

• #2,124
Wordle 732 5/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

My third and fourth words just popped into my head too quickly.

• #2,125
gmax137 said:
Wordle 732 5/6

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

My third and fourth words just popped into my head too quickly.
Similar to me. If I had checked my second guess on previous occurrences I probably would have made it in 2.

• #2,126
Wordle 732 6/6*

🟨⬜🟨⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Too many possibilties. But at least I got it. Last minute.

EDIT: That's what I get for starting with ASCOT. Sometimes what I do just don't make any sense.

• #2,128
Wordle 733 4/6

β¬›πŸŸ©β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #2,129
Wordle 733 5/6

⬜🟨🟨🟨🟨
🟨🟨🟨🟨⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩⬜🟨⬜🟨 <-trying candidates
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

• #2,130
Wordle 733 6/6

πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨β¬›πŸŸ¨
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ¨β¬›β¬›
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
β¬›πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©πŸŸ©
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

I saw eight possibilities after my second word. And three after my third.

• #2,131
Wordle 733 4/6

🟦⬜🟦🟧🟧
⬜🟧🟦⬜⬜
⬜🟧🟧🟧🟧
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

An auspicious start with a mediocre finish.

• #2,132
kuruman said:
Wordle 733 4/6

🟦⬜🟦🟧🟧
⬜🟧🟦⬜⬜
⬜🟧🟧🟧🟧
🟧🟧🟧🟧🟧

An auspicious start with a mediocre finish.
It is often easier to have fails. Correct guesses tend to become fixed points and that narrows the guesses that are left dramatically but not necessarily the set of possible solutions. Imagine you had "ea" at positions 2 and 3. Good luck to find a solution with only 5 guesses left.

• #2,133
Wordle 733 6/6*

🟨⬜🟨⬜🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

frustration.png

OK- That was perhaps one of the most frustrating ones I've come across thus far....

Fits nicely with my day which has been so bad it has had me wanting to bludgeon a small mammal with beady eyes to death with a blunt instrument. :P

EDIT:

As often when I write something, afterwards I look up the words I used to make sure I didn't eff up. This definition took me a little by surprise:https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/blunt:blunt
3 of 3

noun

: a cigar that has been hollowed out and filled with marijuana---
I guess you native speakers aren't surprised.

Last edited:
  • #2,134
fresh_42 said:
Imagine you had "ea" at positions 2 and 3. Good luck to find a solution with only 5 guesses left.
It's not a matter of luck, but a matter of choice. I imagined what you suggested and I found that the are 42 words out of 2300 that look like -EA---. Of course the blanks must be letters which eliminate quite a few candidates. I considered DEALT which has frequently occurring letters and eliminates all but 11 candidates. Then I said to myself, "Nah, let me consider PEACH which eliminates all but 24 candidates."

The key choice is the second word. I looked at the frequency distribution of the letters in the 24 possibilities and came up with SALTY. It was a good choice as it produced all answers in a total of 3 or 4 attempts. The details are shown below.

Solutions in 3
1687469081420.png

Solutions in 3 or 4. Here the third choice is important. After SALTY there are three possibilities such that choosing one of the three either gets the answer in 3 or in 4. For example in the first box the choice of BEADY has 1/3 probability of getting it in 3 and probability 1 of getting it in 4. That's because -EAD- is in READY but not in WEARY.

1687469485463.png

The average score is 3.63. I might be tempted to investigate this in hard mode and see what the average would be.

Likes scottdave