Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 3,937
- 1,866
Wordle 861 4/6*




















I have two starting words that I will always first and second unless the first gives a lot of information. They cover all vowels and a number of important consonants. I will make my guesses based on the result of that keeping mindful of when there is a necessity to make a guess that cannot be the solution to gain extra information to guarantee success, which I value higher than solving in fewer guesses.gmax137 said:I think it is interesting to find out how other people do these puzzles.
I have a friend who uses that same strategy. I prefer hard mode though. Perhaps it's because I never had an interest in developing my vocabulary during my formative years, so I'm not very good at guessing words or in general playing word games. Wordle is the only word game I ever liked.Orodruin said:It should be noted that it is not necessarily stupid to omit lettters you know are in the word. Many times it can give more information, allowing you to guarantee a solve where strictly keeping all known letters would not. This is why I donβt like βhardβ mode.
I am following a strategy of word elimination which requires having a list of all candidate words on a spreadsheet. My seed is always the same and chosen such that the number of words that have no letters in common with it is minimized. My seed has an exclusion percentage or 91%. This means that only 9% of the words on the list share zero words with the seed and remain viable. The idea is to maximize the probability of catching letters that are shared with the target word because 91% have at least one shared letter. Having zero shared letters, as was the case today, is no setback because the target word belongs to the limited list of 9%.gmax137 said:I think it is interesting to find out how other people do these puzzles.
I assume that is still the largest class of possibilities after the first guess? What is the distribution of classes giving shared results for your seed?kuruman said:The idea is to maximize the probability of catching letters that are shared with the target word because 91% have at least one shared letter. Having zero shared letters, as was the case today, is no setback because the target word belongs to the limited list of 9%.
That I haven't looked at, if I understand what you're asking.Orodruin said:What is the distribution of classes giving shared results for your seed?
To clarify: I am asking about the distribution of the sizes that the guess divides the words into, i.e., how large the groups are that remain given any particular outcome of the guess. For example how many of the words survivekuruman said:That I haven't looked at, if I understand what you're asking.
See mine, I had the same issue with the last letter.sbrothy said:Wordle 863 5/6*
I hate when this happens.
Heh yeah, but at least you guessed correctly the first time. :)fresh_42 said:See mine, I had the same issue with the last letter.
It may be easier, but it annoys to have chosen the wrong of the two.sbrothy said:Heh yeah, but at least you guessed correctly the first time. :)
Guess it's also easier at the end.
Indeed.fresh_42 said:It may be easier, but it annoys to have chosen the wrong of the two.
Thanks for the clarification, you verified my understanding of what you were asking. No, I don't look at the distribution of sizes because I consider it irrelevant to my method. Let my describe how I proceeded with today's puzzle.Orodruin said:To clarify: I am asking about the distribution of the sizes that the guess divides the words into, i.e., how large the groups are that remain given any particular outcome of the guess. For example how many of the words surviveon the first guess. One might expect
to be the largest group, but it is not necessarily a given.
Clever. It removes most of the frustration of playing, but it seems it would also remove most of the fun!kuruman said:I am following a strategy of word elimination which requires having a list of all candidate words on a spreadsheet. My seed is always the same and chosen
I tend to agree. It seems to me be a little too geeky an approach. But you do you :)Mister T said:Clever. It removes most of the frustration of playing, but it seems it would also remove most of the fun!