Finding Work Done by Gravity on Inclined Crate

In summary, the work done by gravity on the crate as it is pushed up a 30° incline with a constant external force of 5600 N is -10300 J. To calculate the work done by friction, one can compare the actual results of the change in kinetic energy with what it would have been if there were no friction, taking into account the known forces such as gravity and the applied force.
bob tran

Homework Statement

In the figure, a 700-kg crate is on a rough surface inclined at 30°. A constant external force P = 5600 N is applied horizontally to the crate. As the force pushes the crate a distance of 3.00 m up the incline, the speed changes from 1.40 m/s to 2.50 m/s. How much work does gravity do on the crate during this process?
pLyECts.jpg

Homework Equations

[itex]
W=KE_f - KE_i\\
W=Fd\cos{\theta}
[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]
W=KE_f - KE_i
W_{total}=\frac{1}{2}mv^2_f - \frac{1}{2}mv^2_i\\
W_{total}=\frac{1}{2}m(v^2_f-v^2_i)\\
W_{total}=\frac{1}{2}(700)(2.5^2-1.4^2)\\
W_{total}=1501.5 \ \texttt{J}\\ \ \\
W=Pd\cos{\theta}\\
W=5600(3)\cos{30}\\
W=14549.2 \ \texttt{J}\\ \ \\
W_{total}=W_g+W\\
W_g=W_{total}-W\\
W_g=1501.5-14549.2\\
W_g=-13047.7 \ \texttt{J}
[/tex]
The correct answer is [itex]-10300 \ \texttt{J}[/itex]. I am not sure how I would incorporate friction (if at all).

Physics news on Phys.org
You are making it much too complicated.
How do you usually calculate work done against gravity?

Likes bob tran
They're looking for the work done by gravity. What's the force of gravity on the crate? Sketch in the gravitational force vector on your diagram. What distance does the crate move along the direction of the gravitational force vector?Edit: Oops! haruspex got there first!

Likes bob tran
[tex]
W=-mgh\\
W=-mg(dcos\theta)\\
W=-(700)(9.8)(3\sin{30})\\
W=-10290 \ \texttt{J or } -10300 \ \texttt{J}
[/tex]
Wow. I guess I was thrown off because they mentioned P. Thanks!

Out of curiosity, how would I find the work that friction does?

bob tran said:
Out of curiosity, how would I find the work that friction does?
Compare the actual results given (change in KE of the crate) with what it would have been if there were no friction. That means sorting out all the works done by the known forces.

gneill said:
Compare the actual results given (change in KE of the crate) with what it would have been if there were no friction. That means sorting out all the works done by the known forces.
So would it be like this?
[tex]
W_f=mgd\sin{\theta}+\frac{1}{2}m(v^2_f-v^2_i)-Pd\cos{\theta}
[/tex]

That looks promising. You might want to ponder on the signs of the terms. Consider, for example, that the work done by friction should be negative. And the force P is adding energy to the crate while gravity is stealing it.

1. How is work done by gravity on an inclined crate calculated?

The work done by gravity on an inclined crate is calculated by multiplying the force of gravity (mg) by the displacement of the crate along the incline. This can be represented by the equation W = mgd cosθ, where m is the mass of the crate, g is the acceleration due to gravity, d is the displacement of the crate, and θ is the angle of the incline.

2. Why is the angle of the incline important in calculating work done by gravity?

The angle of the incline is important because it affects the component of the force of gravity that is acting along the displacement of the crate. When the incline is steeper, the force of gravity has a greater component acting along the direction of displacement, resulting in more work being done by gravity.

3. Is the work done by gravity on an inclined crate always positive?

No, the work done by gravity on an inclined crate can be either positive or negative. If the crate is moving up the incline, the displacement and force of gravity are in opposite directions, resulting in negative work. If the crate is moving down the incline, the displacement and force of gravity are in the same direction, resulting in positive work.

4. How does the mass of the crate affect the work done by gravity on an inclined crate?

The mass of the crate affects the work done by gravity by directly influencing the force of gravity acting on the crate. A heavier crate will have a greater force of gravity and therefore do more work on the incline compared to a lighter crate.

5. What are some real-world applications of calculating work done by gravity on an inclined crate?

Calculating work done by gravity on an inclined crate can be useful in various industries, such as construction, transportation, and logistics. For example, knowing the work done by gravity on a crate while it is being loaded onto a truck can help determine the amount of force needed to safely move the crate up the incline. It can also be used in designing and calculating the efficiency of inclined planes and ramps used for moving heavy objects.