Can x be expressed in terms of a?

• Thread starter wisredz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terms
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of writing x in terms of a, given the equations x^2=y+a, y^2=z+a, and z^2=x+a. The person has attempted to solve it, but has only been able to come up with an eighth degree polynomial. They are looking for a simpler way to solve it and have considered using Newton's method or the quadratic formula. However, there are 8 roots for x in terms of a and some of them cannot be simplified. The conversation ends with the person asking if their latest equation x^2+x-sqrt(z+a)-z^2=0 is correct.
wisredz
Hi,
I have a problem with the following problem. We have to write x in terms of a.

[tex]x^2=y+a[/tex]
[tex]y^2=z+a[/tex]
[tex]z^2=x+a[/tex]

I have done some work but all I got is eighth degree polinomial and there is no easy wayof solving it in terms of a as far as I know. This is what I have

[tex]((x^2-a^2)^2-a)^2=x[/tex]

Any help is appreciated

Cheers,
Can

Physics news on Phys.org
wisredz said:
Hi,
I have a problem with the following problem. We have to write x in terms of a.

[tex] x^2=y+a [/tex]
[tex] y^2=z+a [/tex]
[tex] z^2=x+a [/tex]

I have done some work but all I got is eighth degree polinomial and there is no easy wayof solving it in terms of a as far as I know. This is what I have

[tex]((x^2-a^2)^2-a)^2=x[/tex]

Any help is appreciated

Cheers,
Can
That does not look quite right

[tex] x^2 - a = y [/tex]
[tex] y^2 - a = z [/tex]
[tex] z^2 - a = x [/tex]

[tex] \left( \left[ x^2 - a \right ]^2 - a \right )^2 - a = x \ \ \ \ ? [/tex]

Ummm, yes that's what I have but it seems I have written it wrong. I should have 8 roots x in terms of a in this case but I can only think of Newton's method to find those. That is not a very good idea actually...

Nice question,

Think about using quadratic formula with x in terms of z and a.

wisredz said:
Ummm, yes that's what I have but it seems I have written it wrong. I should have 8 roots x in terms of a in this case but I can only think of Newton's method to find those. That is not a very good idea actually...
2 of the roots are simple quadratic roots but the other 6 can not be simplified any further than they are roots of an akward 6th degree polynomial.

Do you mean something like this? English is not my native tongue so I have a little difficulty with mathematical terms. this is what I have now

[tex]x^2+x-\sqrt (z+a) -z^2=0 [/tex]

Related to Can x be expressed in terms of a?

1. What is the definition of "X in terms of a"?

"X in terms of a" refers to expressing a variable or quantity, denoted by X, in relation to another variable or quantity, denoted by a.

2. How is "X in terms of a" calculated?

The calculation for "X in terms of a" varies depending on the specific equation or context. In general, it involves isolating X on one side of the equation and rearranging the terms to express X in relation to a.

3. What is the significance of expressing "X in terms of a"?

Expressing X in terms of a can provide a clearer understanding of the relationship between the two variables. It can also make it easier to solve for one variable when the other is known.

4. Can "X in terms of a" be used in all scientific fields?

Yes, "X in terms of a" can be used in various scientific fields, including mathematics, physics, chemistry, and biology. It is a fundamental concept in many scientific equations and models.

5. Are there any limitations to expressing "X in terms of a"?

There may be limitations in certain situations where the relationship between X and a is not well-defined or when the equation is too complex to be solved for X in terms of a. Additionally, "X in terms of a" may not always provide a complete understanding of the relationship between the variables and may require further analysis.