Year 12: Cambridge Physics Problem (Distance of O atom in atmosphere)

In summary: This will give you a better understanding of gases and how they react.Thank you for your input! I'll take it into account when I solve the question.In summary, the pressure of the atmosphere at an altitude of 1000km is about 1.33E-8 Pa.
johnconnor
At an altitude of about 100km above the Earth's surface, the density and temperature of the atmosphere are about 10^-14 kg/m^3 and 2000K, respectively. At this altitude, the major constituent of the atmosphere is atomic oxygen. Use this information to estimate the pressure of the atmosphere at an altitude of 1000km.

On average, how far apart are the oxygen atoms? What is their root mean square speed? Discuss whether the temperature of a gas at this pressure can be interpreted in the same way as the temperature of a gas at normal atmospheric pressure.

Attempt:

The first thing that crossed my mind is whether the pressure of the atmosphere oxygen changes linearly with the height of the atmosphere. But how do I know whether it's a linear variation or not?

What other factors should I consider when attempting the question? P=ρhg doesn't really help, I think.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
johnconnor said:
Attempt:

The first thing that crossed my mind is whether the pressure of the atmosphere oxygen changes linearly with the height of the atmosphere. But how do I know whether it's a linear variation or not?

I don't think it is linear. The pressure depends on the temperature, and density of oxygen molecules, and they are both not related linearly to the height from sea level. Aren't you given the temperature at 1000km height?

johnconnor said:
At an altitude of about 100km above the Earth's surface, the density and temperature of the atmosphere are about 10^-14 kg/m^3 and 2000K, respectively. At this altitude, the major constituent of the atmosphere is atomic oxygen. Use this information to estimate the pressure of the atmosphere at an altitude of 1000km.

On average, how far apart are the oxygen atoms? What is their root mean square speed? Discuss whether the temperature of a gas at this pressure can be interpreted in the same way as the temperature of a gas at normal atmospheric pressure.

Attempt:

What other factors should I consider when attempting the question? P=ρhg doesn't really help, I think.

Thank you!

I think the 1000 km must be a typo. I think it was meant to read 100 km. The problem asks you to calculate the pressure at the altitude, which you can get from the ideal gas law. If you want to get the parameters at 1000 km, you need to know the temperature profile, and you also need to take into account the changes in g with radial distance. I don't think this is what was intended by the question.

Chestermiller said:
I think the 1000 km must be a typo. I think it was meant to read 100 km. The problem asks you to calculate the pressure at the altitude, which you can get from the ideal gas law. If you want to get the parameters at 1000 km, you need to know the temperature profile, and you also need to take into account the changes in g with radial distance. I don't think this is what was intended by the question.

You're right. The guide didn't mention anything about a variation with height at ten times the height too. Thanks. Will solve it now.

p = (density)(rms square speed)/3 = (density)(temperature)/3
(using the proportion that rms speed is proportional to temperature)
p = 6.67E-12

But the guide given squares the temperature, giving the pressure as 1.33E-8. Why so?

Last edited:
efed2049 said:
Thank you for sharing!
http://www.digoko.info./kv.gif

You're welcome! I'd appreciate yr participating in the discussions to solve the questions as a sign of thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
20120703_114400.jpg

As for the final part, the guide says
The kinetic theory concept of temperature is that it is measured by the average kinetic energy per atom. The same idea applies but where he pressure is very low, it takes a long time for thermal equilibrium to be established between the atmosphere and the thermometer used.

What other comments have you got? I can't think of any... :P

The kinetic theory concept of temperature is that it is measured by the average kinetic energy per atom. The same idea applies but where he pressure is very low, it takes a long time for thermal equilibrium to be established between the atmosphere and the thermometer used.

Isn't the given explanation clear? Since the pressure and molecule density is very low, there are lesser molecules that collide with the thermometer, and this makes attaining the same temperature as that of the atmosphere, take a lot of time. It implies you would need to keep the thermometer in there for a longer time than you normally keep in the 'near-earth' atmosphere to measure temperature.

As for your work, I think you should instead consider the ideal gas equation over the mean square speeds. <C> is proportional to T, but it is unknown what the proportionality constant is...Rearranging the ideal gas equation will give you,

[tex]PV = \frac{m}{M}RT \\ PM = \rho RT[/tex]

Where M is the molecular mass of oxygen.

1. How is the distance of O atom in the atmosphere calculated in the Cambridge Physics Problem for Year 12?

The distance of the O atom in the atmosphere is calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature and inversely proportional to its volume. In this problem, the temperature and pressure of the atmosphere are given, so the volume can be calculated and then converted to distance using the density of the atmosphere.

2. What is the significance of calculating the distance of the O atom in the atmosphere?

The distance of the O atom in the atmosphere is a crucial factor in understanding the behavior and composition of the Earth's atmosphere. It gives us insight into how gases are distributed and mixed in the atmosphere, which is important for studying atmospheric processes such as weather and climate change.

3. How accurate is the calculated distance of the O atom in the atmosphere?

The accuracy of the calculated distance depends on the accuracy of the given data and assumptions made in the ideal gas law calculation. However, in general, the calculated distance should be a close approximation to the actual distance of the O atom in the atmosphere, as the ideal gas law is a well-tested and reliable equation.

4. Are there any limitations to using the ideal gas law to calculate the distance of the O atom in the atmosphere?

Yes, there are limitations to using the ideal gas law for this calculation. It assumes that the gas molecules are in constant motion and do not interact with each other, which may not be the case in reality. Additionally, it does not take into account other factors such as changes in temperature and pressure with altitude, which can affect the distribution of gases in the atmosphere.

5. How can the Cambridge Physics Problem for Year 12 be applied in real-world situations?

The concepts and equations used in this problem, such as the ideal gas law and the density of the atmosphere, can be applied in various real-world situations. For example, they can be used to study the composition and behavior of other planetary atmospheres, or to analyze the effects of air pollution on our own atmosphere. They can also be used in engineering and design applications, such as designing spacecraft or predicting the performance of gas-powered engines.