Non-dimensionalization - Given heat balance EQ, convert to a dimensionless EQ

I am not sure it is correct though. There are some mistakes in the solution process. Like you cannot just multiply by dx on both sides of an equation. That is a derivative. The equation you wanted to non-dimensionalize is a second order differential equation. You end up with a second order differential equation in the dimensionless variables. To do this problem correctly, you also need boundary conditions. That is not in the problem statement. In summary, the conversation discusses the process of non-dimensionalization of a physical situation equation using a dimensionless radial coordinate and a dimensionless temperature variable. The resulting equation is of the form x^2*d^2y/dx^2+x*dy/dx-x^2*y=0. However,
VinnyCee

Homework Statement

Define a dimensionless radial coordinate as

[tex]x\,=\,r\,\sqrt{\frac{2\,h}{b\,k}}[/tex]

and introduce [itex]y\,=\,T\,-\,T_a[/itex], and thus show the elementary equation

[tex]x^2\,\frac{d^2y}{dx}\,+\,x\,\frac{dy}{dx}\,-\,x^2\,y\,=\,0[/tex]

describes the physical situation.

It gives the "physical situation" equation in the previous problem:

[tex]\frac{1}{r}\,\frac{d}{dr}\,\left(r\,\frac{dT}{dr}\right)\,-\,\left(\frac{2\,h}{b\,k}\right)\,\left(T\,-\,T_a\right)\,=\,0[/tex]

Homework Equations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nondimensionalization"

The Attempt at a Solution

Re-expressing the constants

[tex]z\,=\,\frac{2\,h}{b\,k}[/tex]

solving the dimensionless radial coordinate for r

[tex]r\,=\,\frac{x}{\sqrt{z}}[/tex]

Now, I substitute these along with [itex]y\,=\,T\,-\,T_a[/tex] into the "physical situation" equation that I am supposed to non-dimensionalize

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{z}}{x}\,\frac{d}{d\left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{z}}\right)}\,\left[\left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{z}}\right)\,\frac{dT}{d\left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{z}}\right)}\right]\,-\,z\,y\,=\,0[/tex]

What do I do about the denominator in the second and fourth fractions?

[tex]\frac{d}{d\left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{z}}\right)}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like sqrt(z) is just a constant. So d(x/sqrt(z))=dx/sqrt(z). z should cancel out of the equation altogether.

Yes, [itex]\sqrt{z}[/itex] is only a constant.

So you are saying that

[tex]\frac{d}{d\left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{z}}\right)}\,=\,\frac{d}{\frac{dx}{\sqrt{z}}}[/tex]

Right? So, does that mean that

[tex]\frac{d}{\frac{dx}{\sqrt{z}}}\,=\,\frac{d\sqrt{z}}{dx}\,=\,\frac{d}{dx}\sqrt{z}\,=\,0[/tex]

since [itex]\sqrt{z}[/itex] is constant?

Last edited:
Riggghhhhtttt.

But when I apply that to the equation above

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{z}}{x}\,\frac{d}{d\left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{z}}\right)}\,\left[\left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{z}}\right)\,\frac{dT}{d\left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{z}}\right)}\right]\,-\,z\,y\,=\,0[/tex]

There is division by zero and it just zeros out the whole equation. I am supposed to show that it is of the form

Division by zero? z is nonzero. It cancels inside the brackets and gives a common factor of z for the two terms.

The [itex]\frac{\sqrt{z}}{x}[/itex] terms cancel each other out to one

[tex]\frac{d}{d\left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{z}}\right)}\,\frac{dT}{d\left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{z}}\right)}\,-\,z\,y\,=\,0[/tex]

Now what? Multiply it all by [itex]d\left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{z}}\right)[/itex]?

If I do that, I get

[tex]d\left(dT\right)\,-\,\frac{d}{d\left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{z}}\right)}\,z\,y\,=\,0[/tex]

Then what?

Dick said:
Division by zero? z is nonzero. It cancels inside the brackets and gives a common factor of z for the two terms.

It (sqrt(z)) cancels inside the brackets and gives a common factor of z for the two terms on the left hand side of the equation. Which can be factored out. 0/z=0. That is not division by zero. Don't make me repeat this again.

Last edited:
You are saying that z "cancels inside the brackets". Can you show how you arrive at that conclusion, because I don't see how z cancels.

Last edited:
Ok. (x/sqrt(z))*dT/d(x/sqrt(z))=(x/sqrt(z))*sqrt(z)*(dT/dx)=x*(dT/dx). 1/sqrt(z) is in the denominator of the differential. Move it into the numerator as sqrt(z) and then cancel with the sqrt(z) in the denominator of the first factor. Differentials are a lot like fractions if that is what is bothering you.

Last edited:
OIC, from the equality in the third post

[tex]\frac{d}{d\left(\frac{x}{\sqrt{z}}\right)}\,=\,\frac{d}{\frac{dx}{\sqrt{z}}}\,=\,\sqrt{z}\,\frac{d}{dx}[/tex]

If I apply that to the steady-state heat balance equation as you have shown, I get

[tex]\frac{\sqrt{z}}{x}\,\sqrt{z}\,\frac{d}{dx}\left(x\,\frac{dT}{dx}\right)\,-\,z\,y\,=\,0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{z}{x}\,\frac{d}{dx}\left(x\,\frac{dT}{dx}\right)\,-\,z\,y\,=\,0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{z}{x}\left(\frac{dT}{dx}\,+\,x\,\frac{d^2T}{dx^2}\right)\,-\,z\,y\,=\,0[/tex]

[tex]z\,\frac{d^2T}{dx^2}\,+\,\frac{z}{x}\,\frac{dT}{dx}\,-\,z\,y\,=\,0[/tex]

Which is the form I am looking to show if I consider [itex]z\,=\,x^2[/itex].

So, the [itex]x^2[/itex] term in the general equation is equivalent to z in the heat balance equation. Does this conclude the problem?

Thank you for the help:smile:

Last edited:
You cannot consider x^2=z. z is constant, x is not. Cancel z from this:

[tex]z\,\frac{d^2T}{dx^2}\,+\,\frac{z}{x}\,\frac{dT}{dx }\,-\,z\,y\,=\,0[/tex]

and multiply the result by x^2.

So, I divide both sides of

by z to get

[tex]\frac{d^2T}{dx^2}\,+\,\frac{1}{x}\,\frac{dT}{dx}\,-\,y\,=\,0[/tex]

and then multiply everything by [itex]x^2[/itex] to get

[tex]x^2\,\frac{d^2T}{dx^2}\,+\,x\,\frac{dT}{dx }\,-\,x^2\,y\,=\,0[/tex]

Why do I multiply by [itex]x^2[/itex] though?

VinnyCee said:
So, I divide both sides of

by z to get

[tex]\frac{d^2T}{dx^2}\,+\,\frac{1}{x}\,\frac{dT}{dx}\,-\,y\,=\,0[/tex]

and then multiply everything by [itex]x^2[/itex] to get

[tex]x^2\,\frac{d^2T}{dx^2}\,+\,x\,\frac{dT}{dx }\,-\,x^2\,y\,=\,0[/tex]

Why do I multiply by [itex]x^2[/itex] though?

Just because that was the form you said you wanted to show in the problem statement.

1. What is non-dimensionalization?

Non-dimensionalization is the process of removing units from a mathematical equation in order to express it in a dimensionless form. This is often done in scientific research to simplify and generalize equations, making them more applicable to different scenarios.

2. Why is non-dimensionalization important in heat balance equations?

Non-dimensionalization is important in heat balance equations because it allows for a more general understanding of heat transfer processes. By removing units and using dimensionless variables, the equation can be applied to various systems regardless of their specific dimensions or conditions.

3. How do you convert a heat balance equation to a dimensionless form?

The first step in converting a heat balance equation to a dimensionless form is to identify the relevant variables and parameters. Then, a characteristic length, time, and temperature scale must be chosen. These scales are used to create dimensionless variables by dividing the original variables by their corresponding scales. Finally, these dimensionless variables are substituted into the original equation, resulting in a dimensionless form.

4. What are the benefits of using non-dimensionalization in heat balance equations?

Using non-dimensionalization in heat balance equations has several benefits. It allows for a more general understanding of heat transfer processes, making the equations more applicable to various systems. It also simplifies the equations, making them easier to solve and analyze. Additionally, non-dimensionalization can reveal important relationships and trends that may not be apparent in the dimensional form of the equation.

5. Are there any limitations to using non-dimensionalization in heat balance equations?

While non-dimensionalization is a useful tool in heat balance equations, it does have some limitations. It may not be applicable to all systems or processes, as some may have unique dimensions or units that cannot be easily removed. Additionally, the choice of characteristic scales can impact the results of the dimensionless equation, so careful consideration and validation are necessary when using non-dimensionalization.