1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

1D Motion

1. Sep 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Just when a Frisbee passes over the head of a student at a speed of 4m/s and decelerating at a rate of 1.5 m/s2, she starts to run accelerating at a rate of 1 m/s2. [neglect vertical motion of Frisbee]

a)How long will it take the student to catch the Frisbee?

b) If instead of accelerating the student were able to run at a constant speed of 2 m/s as soon as the Frisbee passes her head how far would she have to run to catch it?

2. Relevant equations
    x=x0+V0t+1/2at2

3. The attempt at a solution

So for part a, I figured if I made both xfrisbee and xstudent equal to each other I could solve for t
    xfrisbee=0+4t+(0.5)(-1.5)t2
    xstudent=0+0t+(0.5)(1)t2

0.5t2=4t+0.75t2
    t=0s t=3.2s

And something similar for part b:
    xfrisbee=0+4t+(0.5)(-1.5)t2
    xstudent=0+2t+(0.5)(0)t2

4t+(0.5)(-1.5)t2=2t
    t=0s t=2.7s
    x=(2m/s)(2.7s)=5.4m

I just wanted to know if I got these right. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2010 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Looks perfect to me. :approve:

(Nitpick: Careful not to round off until the last step--especially if you're submitting your work to an online system. They can be picky.)

4. Sep 24, 2010 #3

jhae2.718

Gold Member

Looks like you did everything correctly.

One caution: be careful with your signs; had you gone off of this equation, you would have gotten the result that the student will never reach the frisbee:
    What Doc Al says about rounding is good advice. The distance, if you carry figures through to the end, ends up at about 5.3333 m.

5. Sep 24, 2010 #4
    Thank you for your help.

I'll make sure to hold the rounding off until the end and to check my signs next time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook