Solving Frisbee and Student Motion: A Homework Challenge

In summary, the student catches the Frisbee in 3.2 seconds and has to run 5.4 meters if she accelerates at 1 m/s2 after the Frisbee passes her head. If she runs at a constant speed of 2 m/s, she would have to run 5.3333 meters to catch it.
dramallama

Homework Statement

Just when a Frisbee passes over the head of a student at a speed of 4m/s and decelerating at a rate of 1.5 m/s2, she starts to run accelerating at a rate of 1 m/s2. [neglect vertical motion of Frisbee]

a)How long will it take the student to catch the Frisbee?

b) If instead of accelerating the student were able to run at a constant speed of 2 m/s as soon as the Frisbee passes her head how far would she have to run to catch it?

Homework Equations

x=x0+V0t+1/2at2

The Attempt at a Solution

So for part a, I figured if I made both xfrisbee and xstudent equal to each other I could solve for t
xfrisbee=0+4t+(0.5)(-1.5)t2
xstudent=0+0t+(0.5)(1)t2

0.5t2=4t+0.75t2
t=0s t=3.2s

And something similar for part b:
xfrisbee=0+4t+(0.5)(-1.5)t2
xstudent=0+2t+(0.5)(0)t2

4t+(0.5)(-1.5)t2=2t
t=0s t=2.7s
x=(2m/s)(2.7s)=5.4m

I just wanted to know if I got these right. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks perfect to me. :approve:

(Nitpick: Careful not to round off until the last step--especially if you're submitting your work to an online system. They can be picky.)

Looks like you did everything correctly.

One caution: be careful with your signs; had you gone off of this equation, you would have gotten the result that the student will never reach the frisbee:
dramallama said:
0.5t2=4t+0.75t2

What Doc Al says about rounding is good advice. The distance, if you carry figures through to the end, ends up at about 5.3333 m.

Thank you for your help.

I'll make sure to hold the rounding off until the end and to check my signs next time.

Your attempt at solving the problem is correct. To find the time it takes for the student to catch the Frisbee, you set the equations for the position of the Frisbee and the student equal to each other and solve for t. This gives you the correct answer of t = 3.2 seconds. For part b, you correctly used the equation for position to find the distance the student would have to run to catch the Frisbee, which is 5.4 meters. Great job!

1. How do you approach solving the homework challenge?

The first step in solving the homework challenge is to carefully read and understand the problem. Then, break it down into smaller, manageable parts and think about what tools and strategies may be useful in solving each part. It may also be helpful to discuss the problem with others and seek guidance from a teacher or mentor.

2. What are the key concepts involved in solving this challenge?

The key concepts involved in solving the homework challenge include understanding the principles of motion and forces, applying mathematical equations and formulas, analyzing data and making predictions, and using critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. How can I use Frisbee flight data to solve the challenge?

The Frisbee flight data can be used to analyze the motion of the Frisbee and calculate important variables such as velocity, acceleration, and distance. This data can also be used to make predictions and determine the optimal angle and force for throwing the Frisbee to achieve maximum distance or accuracy.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving this challenge?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving this challenge include not carefully reading and understanding the problem, making incorrect assumptions, using incorrect formulas or equations, and failing to check your work for errors. It is important to double-check your calculations and reasoning to ensure accuracy.

5. How can I apply the skills learned from solving this challenge in real-life situations?

The skills learned from solving this challenge, such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis, can be applied in many real-life situations. For example, these skills can be useful in understanding the mechanics of sports or other physical activities, analyzing real-world data and making predictions, and solving everyday problems that involve motion and forces.