3 pieces of Polaroid sheet (light intensity)

In summary, the problem involves unpolarized light passing through two pieces of Polaroid sheet, with a third piece inserted between them. The intensity of the transmitted light is calculated as a function of the angle Θ between the axes of the first and middle pieces. By finding the derivative of the intensity, the angle that maximizes the intensity for this three-sheet arrangement can be determined. The solution involves using the equations I0 = E2, (1/2)I0 = I1, I = E2cos2Θ, and dsinΘ = mλ. The final step is to differentiate the intensity with respect to Θ and equate it to zero to find the angle for maximum intensity.
togahockey15

Homework Statement

Unpolarized light of intensity I0 passes through two pieces of Polaroid sheet. The second piece is rotated so that the intensity of the transmitted light goes to zero. A
third piece of Polaroid is inserted between the two pieces. Calculate the intensity as
a function of the angle Θ that the axis of the middle piece makes with the axis of the
first piece. By calculating the derivative of the intensity as a function of angle, find
the angle that maximizes the intensity for this three-sheet arrangement.

Homework Equations

I0 = E2

(1/2)I0 = I1 (after 1st sheet

then, I = E2cos2Θ

dsinΘ = mλ

The Attempt at a Solution

After passing the first sheet, I = (1/2) I0
Then, (1/2)I0 = E2cos2Θ

after that i don't know what to do...

Physics news on Phys.org
Two Polaroid are in crossed position. When the third Polaroid is rotated through an angle theta Intensity through it is I = E^2cos^2(theta).Axis of the second Polaroid makes an angle (90 - theta) with the axis of the middle sheet. Hence intensity of the light from the second sheet I' = E^2cos^2(theta)*cos^2(90 - theta)
or I' = E^2cos^2(theta)*sin^2( theta)
Further simplify it. Differentiate with respect to theta and equate it to zero to get the angle for maximum and minimum intensity.

thanks

Related to 3 pieces of Polaroid sheet (light intensity)

1. What is a Polaroid sheet?

A Polaroid sheet is a type of filter that allows only light waves that vibrate in a certain direction to pass through. It was invented by Edwin Land in 1928 and is commonly used in photography and other scientific applications.

2. How does a Polaroid sheet affect light intensity?

A Polaroid sheet decreases the intensity of light by selectively blocking light waves that vibrate in certain directions. This results in a polarized beam of light with reduced intensity.

3. Can you explain the concept of polarized light in relation to a Polaroid sheet?

Light waves normally vibrate in all directions. However, when they pass through a Polaroid sheet, only the waves that vibrate in a particular direction are allowed to pass through. This results in a polarized beam of light, which has a specific direction of vibration.

4. How are 3 pieces of Polaroid sheet used together in experiments?

When 3 pieces of Polaroid sheet are stacked on top of each other at different angles, they act as a polarizing filter. This allows for more precise manipulation of the intensity and direction of polarized light, making it useful in experiments involving light and optics.

5. What other properties of light can be manipulated using Polaroid sheets?

In addition to intensity and direction, Polaroid sheets can also be used to manipulate the color of light. By combining different sheets at various angles, different colors of light can be selectively transmitted or blocked, making it a useful tool in color filters and 3D glasses.