A problem in ionic equilbrium

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the concentration of Ag(NH3)2+ using Ksp and Kc values. The initial concentration of ammonia is 1M and the approach involves using the reaction stoichiometry and an ICE table. However, there is a possibility of error if the concentration of ammonia is not the final concentration.
vijayramakrishnan

Homework Statement

please see the attached image

1998 ,b part question
[/B]

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

i thought that Agcl would give Ag+ and cl- ions whose concentration can be found from Ksp as √Ksp,this Ag+ reacts with NH3 to give Ag(NH3)2+ (reverse of the given reaction) since Kc of the reaction is given we can find concentration of Ag(NH3)2+ from it which is Kc= [Ag(NH3)2+]/[Ag+][NH3]2

but answer obtained is not matching, is the method correct ?,please help.

Attachments

• DSC_0477.JPG
    DSC_0477.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 386
Physics news on Phys.org
It is not clear to me whether 1M ammonia is the final concentration, or added concentration (in which case some of the ammonia would be consumed).

Your approach is OK in the first case, can be wrong in the latter.

Borek said:
It is not clear to me whether 1M ammonia is the final concentration, or added concentration (in which case some of the ammonia would be consumed).

sir it is the initial concentration i suppose

Then you need to take the reaction stoichiometry into account (simplest approach: an ICE table).

Borek said:
Then you need to take the reaction stoichiometry into account (simplest approach: an ICE table).
oh i think i made a mistake concentration of ammonia in initial state is 1 M not the equilbrium concentration,sir are the rest of steps correct?

As I told you:

Borek said:

What is ionic equilibrium?

Ionic equilibrium is a state in which the concentrations of ions in a solution remain constant over time. It occurs when the rate of formation of ions is equal to the rate of their recombination.

What factors affect ionic equilibrium?

The factors that affect ionic equilibrium include temperature, pressure, and the presence of other ions or compounds in the solution. Changes in these factors can shift the equilibrium towards the formation or dissociation of ions.

How is ionic equilibrium represented mathematically?

The mathematical representation of ionic equilibrium is through the equilibrium constant, K, which is the ratio of the products to the reactants at equilibrium. It is calculated using the concentrations of the ions present in the solution.

What is the significance of ionic equilibrium in chemical reactions?

Ionic equilibrium is important in chemical reactions as it determines the extent to which reactions proceed and the concentrations of products and reactants at equilibrium. It also helps in predicting the direction of the reaction and the conditions that favor the formation of products.

How can ionic equilibrium be altered or controlled?

Ionic equilibrium can be altered or controlled by changing the factors that affect it, such as temperature, pressure, and concentrations of ions or compounds. This can be achieved through various methods such as changing the reaction conditions, adding a reactant or product, or using a catalyst.