Acceleration of the center of mass of this cylinder

In summary, a 2.81 kg hollow cylinder with inner radius 0.29 m and outer radius 0.5 m rolls without slipping when pulled by a 47.7 N force. The moment of inertia about the center of mass is found using the formula .5m(r(out)^2 + r(in)^2). The correct value of M/2 is 2.81/2, not 0.5. To find the acceleration of the cylinder's center of mass, Newton's second law can be applied in the horizontal direction and the equations can be solved for a, taking into account the unknown torque due to friction.
sterlinghubbard
A 2.81 kg hollow cylinder with inner radius 0.29 m and outer radius 0.5 m rolls without slipping when it is pulled by a horizontal string with a force of 47.7 N, as shown in the diagram below.

Its moment of inertia about the center of mass is .5m(r(out)^2 + r(in)^2).

What is the accelereation of the cylinder's center of mass? Answer in units of m/s^2.

What am I doing wrong? I found the Torque of the hollow cylinder by T = F(r). Then I found the angular acceleration by Torque = Interia * Alpha. Inertia was found using the supplied forumula. After finding the angular acceleration I found the Tangential Acceleration by TangentialAcceleration = radius * AngularAcceleration. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't the moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder
[tex] \frac{1}{2} M (R_1^2 + R_2^2) [/tex]
So, your value of M/2 is not 0.5 but 2.81/2

siddharth said:
Isn't the moment of inertia of a hollow cylinder
[tex] \frac{1}{2} M (R_1^2 + R_2^2) [/tex]
So, your value of M/2 is not 0.5 but 2.81/2

Hence, .5M which is the same as 2.81/2.

Oh, you mean 0.5 * 2.81 . Didn't see that, sorry.

There wil be a torque due to friction, the value of which is not known. So, I don't think you can use the above equations alone to get the answer.

Have you applied Newton's second law in the horizontal direction? (ie, F-f = ma). Then eliminate f using all the equations and solve for a. That should give you the correct answer.

1. What is the formula for calculating the acceleration of the center of mass of a cylinder?

The formula for calculating the acceleration of the center of mass of a cylinder is a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the net force acting on the cylinder, and m is the mass of the cylinder.

2. How does the shape of the cylinder affect its acceleration?

The shape of the cylinder does not affect its acceleration, as long as the net force and mass remain constant. The acceleration of the center of mass is determined solely by the net force and mass of the cylinder.

3. What factors can influence the acceleration of the center of mass of a cylinder?

The acceleration of the center of mass of a cylinder can be influenced by the net force acting on the cylinder, the mass of the cylinder, and any external forces or friction acting on the cylinder.

4. How can the acceleration of the center of mass of a cylinder be measured?

The acceleration of the center of mass of a cylinder can be measured using a force sensor to measure the net force acting on the cylinder, and a motion sensor to track the displacement and velocity of the cylinder. These measurements can then be used to calculate the acceleration using the formula a = F/m.

5. Can the acceleration of the center of mass of a cylinder change over time?

Yes, the acceleration of the center of mass of a cylinder can change over time if the net force acting on the cylinder changes or if the mass of the cylinder changes. Any external forces or friction acting on the cylinder can also affect its acceleration.