Angular velocity lab experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab experiment where weights were attached to a hanger and passed through a sensor attached to a pulley system. The goal was to find the angular velocity of the weights by using the known distance between two points and the recorded time readings. The conversation also mentions the relationship between angular and linear velocity and the units of measurement for angular velocity.
c-note

Homework Statement

Hi guys,

We did a lab experiment in school, where we attached some weights to a hanger, and attached this to a pulley, for each weight attached, we dropped the weight hanger and recorded the time taken for the weight to pass through a sensor, this sensor system made use of 2 triggers and a light beam etc, so the sensor was triggered as the weight passed through a certain point, then the sensor stopped as the weight passed through the 2nd point. The distance between these 2 points is known, so Time could be recorded.

From the time reading for the weight to pass through the sensor part, I am trying to find angular velocity. I have diameter of the pulley, airspeed, etc...

Angular shaft velocity has to be in rad/s so do I just convert time to rad/s? by finding 1/T then divide by 2pi?

Physics news on Phys.org
Angular velocity relates to linear velocity (of a point moving on a circle) in the same way angle relates to arclength.

s = r theta
v = r omega where omega is the angular velocity.
v/r = omega, where v is distance over time.

Note that v is in say cm/sec and r is in cm so you get units of "per second" for omega.
The "radian" unit is really a unitless number. When tracking units you can always add or remove radian units.

Thanks for your quick reply,

Those equations completely slipped my mind lol,

I kept over complicating it before,

thanks again,

carl

1. What is angular velocity in physics?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed point. It is usually expressed in radians per second (rad/s) and is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angular displacement by the change in time. It can also be calculated by dividing the linear velocity (tangential velocity) by the radius of rotation.

3. What are the units for angular velocity?

Angular velocity is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s), but it can also be measured in degrees per second (°/s) or revolutions per minute (rpm).

4. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Linear velocity is the rate of change of an object's position in a straight line, while angular velocity is the rate of change of an object's angular displacement. Linear velocity has units of distance per time, while angular velocity has units of angle per time.

5. What factors affect angular velocity?

Angular velocity can be affected by the magnitude of the centripetal force, the radius of rotation, and the mass of the object. It is also affected by external factors such as friction and air resistance.