Another law of motion question, last one i swear

• Thread starter twistedps
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law Motion
In summary: The conversation also mentioned the importance of drawing a free body diagram and considering Newton's Third Law. Equations such as the law of static friction and Newton's Second Law were also mentioned as helpful in solving the problem.
twistedps
another law of motion question, last one i swear!

Homework Statement

a 2.00kg block is held in equilibrium on an incline of angle 60deg by a horizontal force F applied in the direction ->. If the coefficient of static friction between block and incline is .300, determine a) min value of F and B) normal force exerted by the incline on the block.

Homework Equations

??

The Attempt at a Solution

Thats why I'm here, i need guidance, the book doesn't really cover this!

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a free body diagram for a start.

twistedps said:
here is the FBD that i drew

Your F is not in the right direction. You have not shown the other forces acting on the block. You need three more forces.

The most common mistake when drawing free-body diagrams is forgetting Newton's Third Law. Go back to the basics: every force must have an equal and opposite force. Also slelect your system correctly and understand the nature of constraining forces exerted by rigid bodies. Maybe you should study the chapter on Newton's Laws from some good introductory book like Halliday and Resnick (Not Walker).

You haven't read the question carefully either, you have made a mistake in the drawing. As for equations, I'm sure your book covers the few necessary ones:

The law of static friction ([itex]F_{lim} = \mu N[/itex]) and Newton's Second Law ([itex]F_{net} = Ma[/itex]). You will also need some basic vector algebra. Concentrate and draw another diagram.

Molu

1. What are the three laws of motion?

The three laws of motion, as stated by Sir Isaac Newton, are:

1. Objects at rest will remain at rest, and objects in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an external force.
  2. The relationship between an object's mass, acceleration, and force is described by the equation F=ma.
  3. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do these laws apply to everyday life?

These laws can be observed in various situations in our daily lives. For example, the first law explains why objects on a table will not move unless someone or something pushes or pulls them. The second law can be seen in the way a car accelerates when the gas pedal is pressed. And the third law can be observed in activities such as jumping, where our feet push down on the ground and the ground pushes back, propelling us into the air.

3. What is the difference between the first and second laws of motion?

The first law, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object's velocity will remain constant unless acted upon by an external force. The second law, on the other hand, describes the relationship between an object's mass, acceleration, and force. In simpler terms, the first law explains why objects move the way they do, while the second law explains how much they will move when a force is applied.

4. Can these laws be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, these laws are applicable to all types of motion, whether it is linear, circular, or rotational. They also apply to both macroscopic and microscopic objects, from the movement of planets to the motion of atoms and particles.

5. Are there any exceptions to these laws of motion?

While these laws hold true for most situations, there are a few exceptions. For example, at the quantum level, the laws of motion may not apply as they do in the macroscopic world. Additionally, in extreme conditions such as near the speed of light or in the presence of strong gravitational forces, these laws may need to be modified to accurately describe the motion of objects.