How Far Does a Car Slide on Wet Concrete Before Stopping?

In summary, a 1000kg car traveling at 40m/s skids to a halt on wet concrete with a friction force of 6000N. Using the equation F=mv^2/r, a positive number of 266.7 is obtained, but it should be a negative number. However, this equation is for centripetal force and does not apply in this situation. Instead, thinking in terms of work and energy would be more appropriate.
astru025
Ap physics friction force please help!

Homework Statement

A 1000kg car traveling at a speed of 40m/s skids to a halt on wet concrete where the friction force is 6000N. How far does the car slide before coming to a stop?

Homework Equations

F=mv^2 / r
1000 kg x (40 m/s^2) / r = 6000 N
I got 266.7

The Attempt at a Solution

I came up with a positive number and it should be a negative number... What am I doing wrong?!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would you expect a negative number?
(And don't forget units.)

F=mv^2/r is for centripetal force isn't it? Is the car going in a circle?

astru025 said:

Homework Statement

I came up with a positive number and it should be a negative number... What am I doing wrong?!
Well..it always depends on which direction you choose to be positive and which negative.
However, the equation you used wasn't correct. Think it in terms of work and energy.

1. What is the definition of friction force?

Friction force is a resistive force that acts between two surfaces in contact and opposes the motion or tendency of motion between them.

2. What factors affect the magnitude of friction force?

The magnitude of friction force depends on the nature of the surfaces in contact, the normal force pressing the surfaces together, and the coefficient of friction between the surfaces.

3. How is friction force related to the weight of an object?

Friction force is directly proportional to the weight of an object. This means that as the weight of an object increases, the friction force also increases.

4. Can friction force be greater than the weight of an object?

Yes, friction force can be greater than the weight of an object if the coefficient of friction between the surfaces is high enough.

5. How can friction force be reduced?

Friction force can be reduced by using lubricants, smoothing the surfaces in contact, or by reducing the normal force between the surfaces.