Atwood Machine: Find M in Terms of m1 & m2

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the value of M in terms of m1 and m2 in order for an Atwood's machine to remain stationary. The solution involves setting up two equations using the formula F=ma and solving for T2 and a separately. A diagram of the specific Atwood's machine in question is also provided.
Ryan95

Homework Statement

In the Atwood’s machine, what should M be, in terms of m1 and m2, so that it doesn’t move?
atwood.JPG

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I've set T1=Mg as T1 is the tension of the rope attached to M. m1 and m2 are both connected together by the same rope so I assumed T1=2T2 .
I set up the equations
T2-m1g=m1a
T2-m2g=-m2a (negative due to m1 and m2 moving in opposite directions).
I then added the two together to get
T2=[m1(g+a)+m2(g-a)]/2.
Which, since T1=2T2=Mg, it can be expressed as
M=[m1(g+a)+m2(g-a)]/g (I think).
Which is where I'm stuck now. I'm unsure of how to get rid of g and a in order to have my answer in terms of just m1 and m2. It's probably pretty simple, but I can't quite get it.. It seems as g can be canceled out from the current equation, but I'm not sure about a.
I've tried canceling out the g and then solving for a which gives me
a=M/m1-m2
But upon plugging that in as a, I am unsure of how to proceed.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please either describe the set-up or post a diagram. Not all Atwood's machines are the same.

Right, apologies. I've added a photo.

You have 2 linear algebraic equations in two unknowns, T2 and a. Solve for them separately.

1. How can I find the value of M in terms of m1 and m2 for an Atwood Machine?

The value of M can be found by using the formula M = (m1-m2)(g)/(m1+m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects on either side of the pulley and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. Why is it important to find the value of M in an Atwood Machine?

Finding the value of M allows us to understand the relationship between the masses of the objects and the acceleration of the system, and can be used to predict the motion of the objects in the Atwood Machine.

3. Can the value of M ever be negative in an Atwood Machine?

No, the value of M cannot be negative as it represents the mass of the counterweight needed to balance the system. A negative mass would not make sense in this context.

4. How does the value of M change if the masses of m1 and m2 are equal?

If the masses of m1 and m2 are equal, then the value of M would be 0 as there would be no need for a counterweight to balance the system. In this case, the acceleration of the system would also be 0.

5. Is the value of M affected by the length of the string in an Atwood Machine?

No, the value of M is not affected by the length of the string as it only depends on the masses of the objects and the acceleration due to gravity. The length of the string only affects the tension in the string, which is not a factor in finding the value of M.