Calculating Flow from Tank to Vessel w/ Power

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to calculate the flow in a system from an underground tank up through a pump into a vessel. The speaker is having trouble finding a formula that yields a good result and is questioning the use of head calculations due to changing velocity. They also discuss the use of a previous equation and the potential need for an iterative solution. The conversation then shifts to discussing the power required for a specific flow velocity and the use of Darcy's equation. The speaker eventually arrives at a power calculation and discusses potential discrepancies in their previous calculations. The conversation ends with a discussion of different friction factors and the correct way to calculate frictional head losses.
GSXR-750
I am trying to calculate the flow in a system from an underground tank up through a pump into a vessel.

But cannot find or derive a formula that yields a good result, I don't think I can use the same head calculations as Velocity will have changed.

1. Homework Statement

ρ = 1000 kg m–3
μ = 0.001 Pa s
P1 = 1bar
P2 = 2bar
Area/Diameter of pipe mm = 0.00636/90
Power = 2749 Watts

Homework Equations

Image 1

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I have attempted using ##Re= \frac {UcdP} {p},##

(assuming streamlined)##2000= \frac {Uc*0.09*1000} {0.001},##
## Uc= \frac {2000} {90000},##
##Uc = 0.02 ms^{-1}##

## Flow = Velocity * Area ##
= 0.02 * 0.00636
## = 0.00013m^3s^{-1}##However I haven't used power here so I cannot see it being the correct way to calculate the flow.

Attachments

• image001.png
    image001.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 445
Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you choose 2000 for Re?

From my notes this equation looked to give a reasonable answer. It however finds the Critical Velocity, which I now see is the velocity in which the flow changes into turbulent flow.
I used 2000, as I know from a previous question using the exact same system but given a flow, different Viscosity and density, that the pipework is laminar.

Is there a way to transpose the old Viscosity and density with the new one to find flow or velocity?
I am told the solution may require an iterative solution.

Thanks

Suppose, instead of knowing the power supplied to the pump, you knew in advance the velocity of the flow in the pipe. Could you then solve for the power supplied to the pump?

The question states using the same pump as before. So I think I need to use the power previously stated and work backwards to velocity and hence flow.

GSXR-750 said:
The question states using the same pump as before. So I think I need to use the power previously stated and work backwards to velocity and hence flow.
That wasn't my question. I'm not asking about your specific problem. Read my question carefully. If I told you that the flow in the pipe is 3 m/s, would you be able to calculate the power required from the pump to achieve this flow? Yes or no.

Given Fluid information and heads calculated from Velocity. Using Darcy Formula

GSXR-750 said:
Given Fluid information and heads calculated from Velocity. Using Darcy Formula
Good. Do it. Let's see what you get for the power.

So I calculated Flow to be ##0.0019m^3s##
Hm = 0.023m
Hf = 1.97m
Therefore using Darcys Equation is ended up with Hp to be 29.18 (very similar to my previous fluid)

Which gave me a Power of 858 kW.

From this I assume that Hp won't change much in this given system.

Hence from my first question. ##Q= \frac {2749} {1000*9.81*29.19} ##

Thanks

Last edited:
Do you really mean kW?

In your equation, what does hm stand for?

Is there a diagram of the system?

I apologise I inputted Velocity not flow. The answer should be 5441 Watts or 5.4 Kw.

Hm stands for the frictional losses caused by fittings. Though I'm now looking thinking my overall process for Hf is incorrect.

I now think it should be 5069 Watts

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 17.04.44.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 17.04.44.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 506
Can you please provide the entire problem statement. Thanks.

Initial parts

Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 17.42.43.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 17.42.54.png
That was the original

Issue we started with.

Screen Shot 2017-04-28 at 17.53.09.png

For a velocity of 3 m/s, I get a volumetric flow rate (assuming a diameter of 0.09 m) of 0.0191m^3/s. Is this what you got?
I get a mass flow rate of 19.1 kg/sec.
I get a Reynolds number of 270000. Is this what you get?
For a smooth pipe, I get a Darcy Weisbach friction factor of about 0.15. Is this what you got?
I get a velocity head of 0.459 m.
I get a frictional head of about 24.5 m. Is this what you get?

The pressure head and the gravitational head are both independent of flow rate.

Pressure head = 1 bar = 10 m
Gravitational head = 16 m

Is this your assessment?

Thanks for you patience with me

Chestermiller said:
For a velocity of 3 m/s, I get a volumetric flow rate (assuming a diameter of 0.09 m) of 0.0191m^3/s. Is this what you got?
I get a mass flow rate of 19.1 kg/sec.
I get a Reynolds number of 270000. Is this what you get?
I get a velocity head of 0.459 m.
For a smooth pipe, I get a Darcy Weisbach friction factor of about 0.15. Is this what you got?
I get a frictional head of about 24.5 m. Is this what you get?

I got the Flow rate, mass flow rate, Reynolds and velocity head. I don't believe i have studied finding the Darcy Weisback friction factor.
I think my frictional head loss is 23.29 as I was going from the water surface not the whole leg i.e. 17m height.

GSXR-750 said:
Thanks for you patience with me
I got the Flow rate, mass flow rate, Reynolds and velocity head. I don't believe i have studied finding the Darcy Weisback friction factor.
Then you must be using Fanning. Darcy Weisback friction factor is 4 x Fanning, and, in the DW equation, you only use L/D, compared with than 4L/D with Fanning.
I think my frictional head loss is 23.29 as I was going from the water surface not the whole leg i.e. 17m height.
The frictional head should be based on the total length of pipe, 32 meters.

1. How do you calculate the flow rate from a tank to a vessel?

The flow rate can be calculated by dividing the volume of liquid in the tank by the time it takes for the liquid to flow from the tank to the vessel. This will give the average flow rate. Alternatively, the flow rate can be calculated by measuring the velocity of the liquid as it leaves the tank and using the equation Q = AV, where Q is the flow rate, A is the cross-sectional area of the opening, and V is the velocity of the liquid.

2. What factors affect the flow rate from a tank to a vessel?

The flow rate can be affected by various factors such as the type of liquid, the pressure difference between the tank and the vessel, the size and shape of the opening, and the length and diameter of the connecting pipe. Other factors that can influence the flow rate include the viscosity of the liquid, the temperature, and the presence of any obstacles in the path of the flow.

3. Can the flow rate be controlled?

Yes, the flow rate can be controlled by adjusting the pressure difference between the tank and the vessel, changing the size or shape of the opening, or using valves to regulate the flow. By controlling these factors, the flow rate can be increased or decreased as desired.

4. How does power affect the flow rate?

Power does not directly affect the flow rate. However, the amount of power needed to pump or move the liquid from the tank to the vessel can indirectly affect the flow rate. For example, if more power is used to pump the liquid, the flow rate may increase due to the increased pressure, but this also depends on other factors such as the viscosity and temperature of the liquid.

5. What are some common methods for measuring the flow rate?

Some common methods for measuring the flow rate include using a flow meter, which measures the volume or velocity of the liquid, or using a timed collection method, where the liquid is collected over a certain period of time and then measured. Other more advanced techniques include ultrasonic flow measurement, electromagnetic flow measurement, and laser doppler velocimetry.