1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the torque on the pedal

1. Jun 6, 2006 #1
    very simple question:
    Calculate the torque on the pedal shown if a force of 150N was applied in the direction shown.

[​IMG]

however, i think im missing the length of the shaft?

since the formula is |T| = |r||F|sin (theta), where's my r value?

is this question unsolveable?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2006 #2
    the magnitude of r is the radius of your pivot. Edit: thought you said what is my R value. Yeah there is no way to solve it without knowing the radius of that pivot, because as your formula clearly shows it is dependent upon that value.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2006
  4. Jun 6, 2006 #3

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. You need the distance from the pedal to the fulcrum. Maybe they are testing you on your understanding of torque, in which case you get full marks...

AM

5. Jun 6, 2006 #4
    I know I am new and all, but there wouldn't be torque on the "pedal", force yes. The torque would twisting force on the shaft that the pedal is conected to. I would think that with out knowing the length there would be a an extra bit of info needed my friend.

6. Jun 6, 2006 #5
    guys thanks, just needed some reassuarance that i wasn't skipping over anything.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?