Calculate the torque on the pedal

• Thread starter masterofthewave124
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pedal Torque
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of torque on a pedal with a force of 150N applied in a specific direction. It is mentioned that the length of the shaft is missing and the importance of the radius of the pivot is emphasized. The question is deemed unsolvable without knowing the radius. Someone also points out that torque refers to the twisting force on the shaft, not the pedal itself.
masterofthewave124
very simple question:
Calculate the torque on the pedal shown if a force of 150N was applied in the direction shown.

http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/5994/torque6hg.jpg

however, i think I am missing the length of the shaft?

since the formula is |T| = |r||F|sin (theta), where's my r value?

is this question unsolveable?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
the magnitude of r is the radius of your pivot. Edit: thought you said what is my R value. Yeah there is no way to solve it without knowing the radius of that pivot, because as your formula clearly shows it is dependent upon that value.

masterofthewave124 said:
very simple question:
Calculate the torque on the pedal shown if a force of 150N was applied in the direction shown.

http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/5994/torque6hg.jpg

however, i think I am missing the length of the shaft?

since the formula is |T| = |r||F|sin (theta), where's my r value?

is this question unsolveable?
No. You need the distance from the pedal to the fulcrum. Maybe they are testing you on your understanding of torque, in which case you get full marks...

AM

I know I am new and all, but there wouldn't be torque on the "pedal", force yes. The torque would twisting force on the shaft that the pedal is conected to. I would think that without knowing the length there would be a an extra bit of info needed my friend.

guys thanks, just needed some reassuarance that i wasn't skipping over anything.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the twisting force on an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied.

2. How is torque calculated on a pedal?

The torque on a pedal can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the pedal by the distance from the pivot point (where the pedal attaches to the bike) to the point where the force is applied (where the rider's foot is placed).

3. What factors affect the torque on a pedal?

The factors that affect torque on a pedal include the force applied by the rider's foot, the length of the pedal arm, and the angle at which the force is applied to the pedal.

4. How does the gear ratio affect the torque on a pedal?

The gear ratio, or the number of teeth on the front and rear gears, can affect the torque on a pedal. A higher gear ratio means that the rider will need to apply more force to the pedal to achieve the same amount of torque as a lower gear ratio.

5. Why is it important to calculate the torque on a pedal?

Calculating the torque on a pedal is important because it helps us understand the amount of force needed to rotate the pedals and propel the bike forward. It also allows us to determine the most efficient gear ratio for a given situation.