Calculating Tension in Pulley System w/ Friction

In summary, a system with two blocks connected by a pulley was analyzed. The initial height of the blocks and their masses were given. The amount of frictional energy dissipated when block A hits the ground was calculated using the principle of work-energy, resulting in a value of E = 45.7 J, which was found to be correct according to the textbook. The tension in the cables was then calculated for both blocks using the same principle, resulting in values of TA = 60.3 N for block A and TB = 83.2 N for block B. However, the textbook listed the answers as TA = 83.2 N and TB = 60.3 N, which was found to be correct. It was
AngelofMusic
Two blocks A and B are connected via a pulley.

http://img23.photobucket.com/albums/v68/AngelOfMusic/pulley.jpg

They are initially at height h = 2 m from the ground. When block A hits the ground, it is moving at 3 m/s. For part a), I already determined the amount of frictional energy dissipated, with E = 45.7 J. This is correct, according to the textbook. Mass of A = 11 kg, Mass of B = 5 kg.

Now I'm asked to calculate the tension in the cables.

Isolating Block A, we have the TA, mg and the frictional force acting on it. Using the principle of work-energy:

0 + (11)(9.81)(2 m) - (2 m)TA - 45.7 = 1/2(11)(3)^2
Solving, I get TA = 60.3 N

For Block B:

0 - (5)(9.81)(2 m) + (2 m)TB - 45.7 = 1/2(5)(3)^2
Solving, I get TB = 83.2 N.

However, the back of the textbook has the answers listed as TA = 83.2 N and TB = 60.3 N. I must be on the right track since I have the right numbers, but can anyone point out where I went wrong to get the exact reversal of answers? It makes sense that TA > TB, since A is heavier than B, but I can't find the mistake in my equations.

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure the answers in the book aren't just wrong? (They could have mixed up the symbols.)

AngelofMusic said:
However, the back of the textbook has the answers listed as TA = 83.2 N and TB = 60.3 N. I must be on the right track since I have the right numbers, but can anyone point out where I went wrong to get the exact reversal of answers? It makes sense that TA > TB, since A is heavier than B, but I can't find the mistake in my equations.
The book's answers are correct. Your "work-energy" relations are not. (The friction does not act directly on the blocks--its effect is transmitted via the tensions in the cables.)
For block A, the correct equation would be:
MAg(2) - TA(2) = ΔKEA

For B:
-MBg(2) + TB2 = ΔKEB

The friction does not act directly on the blocks--its effect is transmitted via the tensions in the cables.

Just to confirm that I understand this correctly:

For an ideal system with friction = 0, we would be able to calculate TA and TB and they'd be equal. But once friction is taken into account, this increases the tension in each part, making them unequal. (And since it's included in the tension, once each block is isolated, the friction can be "ignored.") So, it's only when the entire system is taken into account that the friction needs to be added, because when we use the entire system we're assuming TA (without friction) = TB (without friction) = internal forces, while friction is external?

Thanks for your help!

AngelofMusic said:
Just to confirm that I understand this correctly:

For an ideal system with friction = 0, we would be able to calculate TA and TB and they'd be equal.
Right!
But once friction is taken into account, this increases the tension in each part, making them unequal.
Right, the friction changes the tension in the cable.
(And since it's included in the tension, once each block is isolated, the friction can be "ignored.")
Since you chose to isolate each block, you need only consider the forces on the blocks. The friction is a force on the pulley/cable, not on the blocks.
So, it's only when the entire system is taken into account that the friction needs to be added, because when we use the entire system we're assuming TA (without friction) = TB (without friction) = internal forces, while friction is external?
If you take as your system the blocks plus cable plus pulley then the work done by the tension in the cable will always cancel. You can think of the tension as a passive internal force: The cable--assumed massless--merely transmits force from one end to the other. But you are correct that the friction is an external force doing work on the system and dissipating energy.

Related to Calculating Tension in Pulley System w/ Friction

1. How do I calculate the tension in a pulley system with friction?

To calculate the tension in a pulley system with friction, you will need to use the equation T1 = T2 x e^(μθ), where T1 is the tension in the first rope, T2 is the tension in the second rope, μ is the coefficient of friction, and θ is the angle of the incline. You will also need to take into account the weight of the object being pulled by the ropes.

2. What is the coefficient of friction and how does it affect tension?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces. In the context of a pulley system, it represents the resistance to motion caused by the friction between the rope and the pulley. A higher coefficient of friction will result in a higher tension in the ropes.

3. Can I ignore friction when calculating tension in a pulley system?

No, friction plays a significant role in determining the tension in a pulley system. Ignoring friction can result in inaccurate calculations and can compromise the safety and efficiency of the system.

4. How do I account for the weight of the object being pulled in the tension calculation?

To account for the weight of the object being pulled, you will need to add it to the equation as a downward force. This will affect the tension in the ropes and should be taken into consideration when calculating the final result.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect tension in a pulley system with friction?

Yes, other factors that can affect tension in a pulley system include the angle of the incline, the diameter of the pulleys, and the type of rope being used. These factors should be taken into account when calculating tension to ensure accurate results.