Calculating voltage and current of RC Circuit

In summary: If it's a DC voltage, then the current through the capacitor was infinite and the capacitor was useless.
Turion

Homework Statement

Attached.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attached.

I am looking at the circuit at t<0. I need to calculate v(0) but I'm not sure how to apply nodal analysis when you have a capacitor in the circuit. Do capacitors follow ohm's law?

Attachments

• questions.jpg
    questions.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 429
  • attempt.jpg
    attempt.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 424
Physics news on Phys.org
For the instant t = 0+, a capacitor "looks like" an ideal voltage source with the value of the then current voltage on the capacitor.

gneill said:
For the instant t = 0+, a capacitor "looks like" an ideal voltage source with the value of the then current voltage on the capacitor.

Oh, I just realized the question is asking for t≥0. Opps.

I've redrew the circuit for t≥0 but I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean. How does the capacitor look like a voltage source if it's not in the circuit diagram? How do I get the voltage of the capacitor if it's not in the circuit diagram?

I've attached my new attempt. Disregard the t<0 part.

Attachments

• img005.jpg
    img005.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 459
If the voltage on the capacitor at time t=0+ happens to be zero then it's okay to replace the capacitor with a wire (short circuit) as you've done. After all, an ideal voltage source of 0 V is identical to a wire (short circuit). But if you run across a case where the capacitor happens to have some initial charge on it, then replace it with a voltage source for that initial instant. If you need to find the capacitor voltage for more more than that instant, it's okay to model the capacitor as an ideal voltage source in series with an uncharged capacitor (initial voltage = 0).

attachment.php?attachmentid=67526&stc=1&d=1394554394.gif

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2.1 KB · Views: 654
gneill said:
If the voltage on the capacitor at time t=0+ happens to be zero then it's okay to replace the capacitor with a wire (short circuit) as you've done. After all, an ideal voltage source of 0 V is identical to a wire (short circuit). But if you run across a case where the capacitor happens to have some initial charge on it, then replace it with a voltage source for that initial instant. If you need to find the capacitor voltage for more more than that instant, it's okay to model the capacitor as an ideal voltage source in series with an uncharged capacitor (initial voltage = 0).

attachment.php?attachmentid=67526&stc=1&d=1394554394.gif

So in this case, is the voltage on the capacitor zero at t=0+ or is there some initial charge? It is zero because there is no source when t<0, right?

From your diagram, how would I be able to calculate v(∞)? Capacitors act as open circuits to DC, right? So isn't that an open circuit?

Turion said:
So in this case, is the voltage on the capacitor zero at t=0+ or is there some initial charge? It is zero because there is no source when t<0, right?
Right.

From your diagram, how would I be able to calculate v(∞)? Capacitors act as open circuits to DC, right? So isn't that an open circuit?

Yup. The capacitor will charge until the voltage across it exactly balances the driving voltage (no potential difference means no more current flowing into the capacitor). So the thing to do there is to remove the capacitor and find out what the voltage is at the open terminals where it was removed.

1. How do I calculate the voltage of an RC circuit?

The voltage of an RC circuit can be calculated using the formula V = V0(1-e-t/RC), where V0 is the initial voltage, t is the time, R is the resistance, and C is the capacitance.

2. What is the significance of the time constant in an RC circuit?

The time constant (RC) represents the time it takes for the voltage in an RC circuit to reach 63.2% of its maximum value. It is a measure of the rate at which the capacitor charges or discharges.

3. How can I calculate the current in an RC circuit?

The current in an RC circuit can be calculated using the formula I = I0e-t/RC, where I0 is the initial current, t is the time, R is the resistance, and C is the capacitance.

4. Can an RC circuit have a negative voltage or current?

Yes, an RC circuit can have negative voltage or current depending on the direction of the current flow. If the current is flowing in the opposite direction, the voltage and current will have opposite signs.

5. How does the resistance and capacitance affect the voltage and current in an RC circuit?

The resistance and capacitance in an RC circuit affect the voltage and current in different ways. A higher resistance will result in a slower charging or discharging of the capacitor, while a larger capacitance will result in a longer time constant and a slower change in voltage. Additionally, a larger capacitance will also result in a larger current in the circuit.