Center (in y direction) of Mass of 3D pyramid

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the work required to build a monument made of stone blocks. The solution involved finding the center of mass, ycm, by taking a cross section and using the formula ycm = (1/M) * ∫ydm, where M is the total mass. The initial attempt at a solution was incorrect due to incorrect formulas for the length and width, but the correct solution was found by scaling the width of the rectangle and integrating from the bottom.
012anonymousx

Homework Statement

A monument is made from stone blocks of density 3800kg/m^3. The monument is 15.7m high, 64.8m wide at the base, and 3.6m thick from front th back. How much work was required to build the monument? (Hint: find ycm).

Homework Equations

ycm = (1/M) * ∫ydm, M = mass total

The Attempt at a Solution

Take a cross section and get a rectangle.
The length will be: (64.8/15.7) * y
The width will be: (3.6/15.7) * y

Thus, dm = density * length * width * dy

M total = density * volume = 6958742.8

ycm = (1/M) * ∫y * density * length * width * dy (from 0 to 15.7)

Okay, so this solution is wrong. It gives the the ycm as 7.85m. But ycm is actually a third of the height (as it is for triangles).

My question is: what is fundamentally wrong with my approach?

I have the solution though. I don't need that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your formulas for the length and width have them both zero for y = 0. Unless the monument is supposed to be standing on its head, that could be problematical :smile:

Likes 1 person
That shouldn't matter.

Take the center of mass from 7.85m from the top.

Interestingly. 7.85m is the middle of the triangle.

Got it got it got it! 3.6 is constant. Brb

[EDIT] Works. You made me think of it. I was looking at integrating from the top and wrote out eqn to reverse and realized... wait a minute, I'm scaling the width but its constant...

TYVM.

I need to know why my solution is wrong.

Your approach is incorrect because you are assuming that the cross section of the pyramid is a rectangle, when in fact it is a triangle. This means that the length and width of the cross section will change as you move up the pyramid. Additionally, your integral should be from 0 to 15.7/2 since you are only considering the top half of the pyramid.

To correctly find the ycm, you would need to integrate over the entire pyramid, taking into account the changing dimensions of the cross section. This can be done using calculus and the formula for the center of mass of a triangle.

Overall, your approach is not fundamentally wrong, but it does not accurately reflect the shape of the pyramid and therefore does not give the correct answer.

1. What is the center of mass of a 3D pyramid?

The center of mass of a 3D pyramid is the point at which the mass of the pyramid can be considered to be concentrated. It is the balancing point of the pyramid where the weight is evenly distributed in all directions.

2. How is the center of mass of a 3D pyramid calculated?

The center of mass of a 3D pyramid can be calculated by finding the average of the x, y, and z coordinates of all the points that make up the pyramid. This can be done using the formula (x1 + x2 + x3)/3, (y1 + y2 + y3)/3, and (z1 + z2 + z3)/3 for a pyramid with 3 base points.

3. Does the shape of a 3D pyramid affect its center of mass?

Yes, the shape of a 3D pyramid does affect its center of mass. The center of mass is determined by the distribution of mass within the pyramid. A pyramid with a wider base will have a lower center of mass, while a pyramid with a narrower base will have a higher center of mass.

4. How does the center of mass of a 3D pyramid change as its height increases?

As the height of a 3D pyramid increases, its center of mass will also move upwards. This is because the majority of the mass of a pyramid is located in its base, and as the height increases, the base gets farther away from the ground, shifting the center of mass higher.

5. Why is the center of mass important in 3D pyramid stability?

The center of mass is important in 3D pyramid stability because it determines the point at which the pyramid will balance and not tip over. If the center of mass is too high, the pyramid will be unstable and prone to tipping. It is important to consider the center of mass when designing and constructing a 3D pyramid to ensure its stability.