Checking Diagram for H2, CO, CH4 Reactor Flow Ratios

In summary, the conversation discusses the layout of a diagram for a chemical process, involving a feed stream with H2, CO and a trace of CH4, and the production of pure CH3OH through a reactor, separator, and recycle with purge to remove non-reactive CH4. The feed stream has a composition of 67.3 mol% H2, 32.5 mol% CO, and 0.2 mol% CH4, while the recycle stream has a CH4 concentration of 3.2 mol%. The question asks for the ratio of the feed stream to purge stream flowrates and it is determined to be 16:1. It is also mentioned that the mole fractions do not need to be solved for
CannonSLX
I'm about to attempt this question but beforehand I was hoping if someone could just check if my diagram is correct on the basis of the question;

A feed stream contains H2, CO and a trace of CH4. Pure CH3OH is produced by means of a reactor (CO + 2H2→CH3OH), separator and recycle with purge to remove the non-reactive CH4. Feed stream composition is 67.3 mol% H2, 32.5 mol% CO and 0.2 mol% CH4. Recycle CH4 concentration is held at 3.2 mol% CH4. What is the ratio of the feed stream to purge stream flowrates?

Diagram: https://i.gyazo.com/3552bd8e88abae971ea4686ced8a05b9.png

Would I be right in thinking that I'd also need to take a basis in order to calculate any flow rates as none have been provided.

Also does the stream coming off the separator have the same composition as the recycled one ?
In my diagram I was not sure if the arrow coming off the separator also had to have its own flow rate and compositions if it were the same as the recycled stream.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
CannonSLX said:
I'm about to attempt this question but beforehand I was hoping if someone could just check if my diagram is correct on the basis of the question;
The layout of the diagram looks correct.
A feed stream contains H2, CO and a trace of CH4. Pure CH3OH is produced by means of a reactor (CO + 2H2→CH3OH), separator and recycle with purge to remove the non-reactive CH4. Feed stream composition is 67.3 mol% H2, 32.5 mol% CO and 0.2 mol% CH4. Recycle CH4 concentration is held at 3.2 mol% CH4. What is the ratio of the feed stream to purge stream flowrates?

Diagram: https://i.gyazo.com/3552bd8e88abae971ea4686ced8a05b9.png

Would I be right in thinking that I'd also need to take a basis in order to calculate any flow rates as none have been provided.
Sure.
Also does the stream coming off the separator have the same composition as the recycled one ?
Yes.
In my diagram I was not sure if the arrow coming off the separator also had to have its own flow rate and compositions if it were the same as the recycled stream.
The composition is the same, but the flow rate isn't.

Likes CannonSLX
Chestermiller said:
The layout of the diagram looks correct.

Sure.

Yes.

The composition is the same, but the flow rate isn't.

Would I use extent of reaction method to solve instead of multiple unit balance method ?

How would you interpret what is required of you?

Chestermiller said:
How would you interpret what is required of you?
Well, as its asking for the ratios all I have done it calculated the flow rate for the purge stream and divided the feed stream by the purge stream.
This is what I have done;
https://i.gyazo.com/f8da4c1adac28ccb28c7aa3af095e1db.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think M4 should be labeled 1 CH3OH mol, and M5, M6, and M7 shouldn't have 0.032 CH4 mol, unless you understand that these are mole fractions and not molar flows. You need to solve for the missing stream flows and mole fractions, given that, in the reactor, the reaction goes to completion, with either CO or H2 being the limiting reactant (probably CO).

Likes CannonSLX
Chestermiller said:
I don't think M4 should be labeled 1 CH3OH mol, and M5, M6, and M7 shouldn't have 0.032 CH4 mol, unless you understand that these are mole fractions and not molar flows. You need to solve for the missing stream flows and mole fractions, given that, in the reactor, the reaction goes to completion, with either CO or H2 being the limiting reactant (probably CO).
Yes I understand that they are mole fractions :)
I don't see why its necessary to solve for the mole fractions ? If I take a basis and use input=output can I not simply do as I have done in the image ?
As in Feed:purge 16:1

CannonSLX said:
Yes I understand that they are mole fractions :)
I don't see why its necessary to solve for the mole fractions ? If I take a basis and use input=output can I not simply do as I have done in the image ?
As in Feed:purge 16:1
I agree. I should have read over what you did more carefully. Sorry.

Chestermiller said:
I agree. I should have read over what you did more carefully. Sorry.
No worries, thanks anyways :)

1. What is a reactor flow ratio?

A reactor flow ratio is a measurement of the relative amounts of reactants and products flowing through a chemical reactor. It is typically expressed as a ratio of the moles or mass of each component.

2. Why is it important to check the diagram for H2, CO, CH4 reactor flow ratios?

It is important to check the diagram for H2, CO, CH4 reactor flow ratios to ensure that the reactants are being fed into the reactor in the correct proportions. This is crucial for achieving optimal reaction conditions and maximizing product yield.

3. How is the reactor flow ratio calculated?

The reactor flow ratio is calculated by dividing the moles or mass of a specific reactant or product by the total moles or mass of all reactants and products. This can be expressed as a percentage or a decimal.

4. What is the ideal reactor flow ratio for H2, CO, CH4?

The ideal reactor flow ratio for H2, CO, CH4 will vary depending on the specific reaction and desired outcome. However, it is generally recommended to follow the stoichiometric ratio (i.e. the ratio of reactants based on their balanced chemical equation) in order to achieve maximum conversion and product yield.

5. How often should the reactor flow ratios be checked?

The frequency of checking reactor flow ratios will depend on the stability and consistency of the reaction process. In general, it is recommended to regularly monitor and adjust flow ratios as needed to maintain optimal reaction conditions.