Cooling a Room with 8.4*10^6J/h: How Long?

• Thread starter Kelju Ivan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cooling
In summary, the air conditioner cools a room with a volume of 62.5m^3 from 30C to 25C using a power of 8.4*10^6J/h. The air pressure remains constant at 1atm and the air is treated as a diatomic gas. By using the equations P = (5p0V0/2kbT(t))(dT/dt) and t=Q/P, where n=(p0V0/kbT(t)), the time it takes to cool the room can be calculated.
Kelju Ivan
Air conditioner cools the air in a room with a power of 8.4*10^6J/h. Volume of the room is 62.5m^3. At first the air is at the temperature of 30C and air pressure is 1atm, which stays a constant. How long does it take to cool the room to 25C? Note that the air shrinks while cooling down and since the pressure stays constant, more air (at 30C) flows in from the outside. Treat the air as a diatomic gas.

I am overwhelmed by this exercise. Normally I could make the equation (S is the integral sign) S Pdt = S nRdT (n=pV/RT), but now more air is flowing in, all the time warming the room and making the n change. How the hell does this work?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, so you know that both the temperature and number of particles change with time. The pressure and volume are both constants. So, we can right

[tex]p_{0}V_{0} = N(t)k_{b}T(t) \Rightarrow N(t) = \frac{p_{0}V_{0}}{k_{b}T(t)}[/tex]

Next, we can right the power as

[tex]P = \frac{dQ}{dt} = C_{V}\frac{dT}{dt}[/tex]

It says that you have a diatomic gas. We know that the heat capacity of a diatomic gas is

[tex]C_{V} = \frac{5}{2}Nk_{b}[/tex]

Substituting for the heat capacity and the number of particles,

[tex]P = \frac{5p_{0}V_{0}}{2k_{b}T(t)}\frac{dT}{dt}[/tex]

Thus,

[tex]P\Delta t = \frac{5p_{0}V_{0}}{2k_{b}} ln \frac{T_{final}}{T_{initial}}[/tex]

That differs a bit from the answer we were shown, but I guess it does just the same thing, you just used Boltzman's constant instead of R.

In our version we had [tex] C_p=\frac{7}{2}R [/tex]. I'm not really sure when I should use 5/2 and when 7/2, since both are valid for [tex]C_p[/tex].

[tex]t=Q/P[/tex] where

[tex] Q=nC_p\Delta T [/tex] and [tex] n=\frac{pV}{RT}[/tex]

1. How does energy affect the cooling time of a room?

The amount of energy used in a cooling system directly impacts the time it takes to cool a room. The higher the energy output, the faster the room will cool down.

2. What is the relationship between room size and cooling time?

The size of the room also plays a role in the cooling time. A larger room will require more energy to cool, so it may take longer to reach the desired temperature compared to a smaller room.

3. Can the type of cooling system affect the cooling time?

Yes, the type of cooling system used can greatly impact the cooling time. For example, a central air conditioning system may cool a room faster than a portable air conditioner.

4. How long does it take to cool a room with 8.4*10^6J/h of energy?

The cooling time will depend on various factors such as the room size, insulation, and temperature outside. However, with 8.4*10^6J/h of energy, it should take approximately 1-2 hours to cool a medium-sized room.

5. What can be done to decrease the cooling time?

To decrease the cooling time, one can increase the energy output of the cooling system, improve the insulation of the room, or decrease the temperature outside. Additionally, regularly maintaining and cleaning the cooling system can also help improve its efficiency and decrease cooling time.