Current Flow in a Parallel Circuit

In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling with understanding a formula in their basic electricity course. They ask for verification and explanation of the example provided, but it turns out they simply forgot to find the lowest common denominator.
Jon_H
Hi, I'm taking a basic electricity course right now and I'm having trouble understanding a formula. The way they have their example makes no sense to me. Can anybody verify that their example is correct and explain a little bit for me? See attached file.
parallel.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems extremely straightforward. What is it exactly that you do not understand?

Hi Jon_H, Welcome to Physics Forums.

In future, please format your question using the template provided in the editing window when you begin a new thread.

The example given is correct. Can you be more specific about what in the example is not making sense to you?

Sorry guys, It's been a long time since I've done some real math and totally forgot about finding the lowest common denominator, which would give me the 15+10+6/3000. Brain fart...

Last edited:

1. What is a parallel circuit?

A parallel circuit is a type of electrical circuit where the components are connected in a way that allows the current to flow through multiple paths. This means that each component has its own separate connection to the power source.

2. How does current flow in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the total current is divided among the different branches. This means that the current flowing into the circuit is equal to the current flowing out of the circuit. The amount of current flowing through each branch depends on the resistance of the component in that branch.

3. What is the total resistance in a parallel circuit?

The total resistance in a parallel circuit is calculated differently than in a series circuit. In a parallel circuit, the total resistance is equal to the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of each individual resistance. This means that the total resistance is always less than the smallest individual resistance.

4. How does voltage behave in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the voltage is the same across each branch. This means that the voltage across each component is equal to the voltage of the power source. This is because the components are connected in parallel, so they all have the same potential difference.

5. What is the advantage of a parallel circuit over a series circuit?

The main advantage of a parallel circuit is that if one component fails, the other components can still function. This is because in a parallel circuit, each component has its own separate connection to the power source. In a series circuit, if one component fails, the entire circuit will stop working.