DC Circuit. Kirchoff's 2nd law.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the potential difference across a 10ohm resistor using Kirchoff's second law. The attempt at a solution involves using KSL to find the sum of pds and emfs, but the calculations initially gave the wrong value for current (I). After correcting the calculation, the correct value for current is found to be 0.5. This is then used to determine the potential difference across the resistor.
Gregg

Homework Statement

Is it possible to find the P.D. across the 10ohm resistor.

Circuit2.jpg

Homework Equations

Kirchoff's second law.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well KSL states that the sum of the pds is equal to the sum of the emfs.

[itex] I(10) + 0.25(12) = 2 [/itex]

Gives the wrong value for I. I is 0.5. I took this part of the circuit out. Actually there is a source of emf in parallel with 5V flowing in the opposite direction to the 2V cell. I'm asking if it's possible to work out the pd across the 10ohm resister without that part of it, using Kirchoffs law for pds and emf in a closed loop.

EDIT: Oops.

[itex] I(10) - 0.25(12) = 2 [/itex]

[itex] I = 0.5 [/itex]

Sorry.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why is the value of I wrong :confused:
You have worked out the current I. Which very well gives the p.d.

Yes, it is possible to find the P.D. across the 10ohm resistor using Kirchoff's second law. As stated, the sum of the P.D.s in a closed loop is equal to the sum of the electromotive forces (emfs) in that loop. In this case, the emf of the 12V source in parallel with the 5V source will cancel out, leaving only the emf of the 2V source in the loop. Therefore, the equation will be:

I(10) = 2V

Solving for I, we get I = 0.2A.

Using Ohm's law, we can then find the P.D. across the 10ohm resistor:

P.D. = I*R = (0.2A)*(10ohm) = 2V

Therefore, the P.D. across the 10ohm resistor is 2V.

Related to DC Circuit. Kirchoff's 2nd law.

1. What is DC circuit?

A DC circuit is a circuit that uses direct current (DC) to power electrical devices. DC current flows in only one direction and is commonly used in batteries and electronic devices.

2. What is Kirchoff's 2nd law?

Kirchoff's 2nd law, also known as Kirchoff's voltage law, states that the sum of all voltage drops in a closed circuit is equal to the sum of all voltage rises, and this total must equal zero.

3. How is Kirchoff's 2nd law applied in a DC circuit?

In a DC circuit, Kirchoff's 2nd law is applied by using the principle of conservation of energy. This means that the total voltage supplied by the power source must be equal to the total voltage consumed by the components in the circuit.

4. What is the purpose of using Kirchoff's 2nd law in a DC circuit?

The purpose of using Kirchoff's 2nd law in a DC circuit is to analyze and determine the behavior of the circuit. It helps in calculating the voltage drops and current flows in different parts of the circuit, and also ensures the conservation of energy in the circuit.

5. Can Kirchoff's 2nd law be applied in AC circuits as well?

Yes, Kirchoff's 2nd law can be applied in AC circuits as well. However, it is important to note that the law is based on the assumption that the circuit is in a steady state, and the voltage and current are constant. In AC circuits, the voltage and current are continuously changing, so the application of Kirchoff's 2nd law may be more complex.