Determining electron configuration with quantum numbers n l

In summary, the conversation is about determining the orbitals and number of electrons in a quantum dot based on quantum numbers (n,l). The individual is also questioning the use of SSPSP method to fill orbitals and wondering why it goes from SPDSF instead of a second S. The symbols used may pertain to terms rather than orbitals, and there is confusion about the energy levels of different quantum numbers.
rwooduk
This relates to a question I asked recently on Quantum Dots, but I'll rephrase it and hopefully any chemists out there can help.

If we have (n,l) = (1,2) where n and l are quantum numbers can we determine the orbitals? and hence the number of electrons in a quantum dot?

i.e.
lrq3kH2.jpg

And also I've always used the SSPSP... to fill orbitals, what's happened to the second S etc? why does he go SPDSF

Thanks in advance for any help, completely lost.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
No idea what is going on. Symbols look to me as if he was writing about terms, not orbitals. Not that it makes sense to me with terms.

Borek said:
No idea what is going on. Symbols look to me as if he was writing about terms, not orbitals. Not that it makes sense to me with terms.

think it's something to do with that for 1s2 n=0 l=0, for 1p6 n=0 l=1 for 1d10 n=0 l=2 etc etc

apologies to mods, this is now slightly clashing with:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/energy-levels-of-quantum-dots.812810/#post-5103330

Locking here.

1. What does the quantum number n represent in electron configuration?

The quantum number n represents the principal energy level or shell that an electron occupies in an atom. It determines the overall size and energy of an orbital.

2. What is the significance of the quantum number l in determining electron configuration?

The quantum number l represents the angular momentum of an electron in an atom. It determines the shape of the orbital and the number of subshells within each energy level.

3. How do the quantum numbers n and l work together to determine the electron configuration?

The combination of n and l determines the specific subshell and energy level that an electron occupies in an atom. For example, an electron with quantum numbers n=2 and l=1 would be in the 2p subshell, while an electron with n=3 and l=2 would be in the 3d subshell.

4. Can quantum numbers n and l be used to determine the exact location of an electron in an atom?

No, the quantum numbers n and l can only provide information about the energy level and subshell that an electron occupies. The exact location of an electron within an orbital is determined by additional quantum numbers, such as the magnetic quantum number (ml).

5. What is the maximum number of electrons that can occupy a single orbital?

According to the Pauli exclusion principle, a maximum of two electrons with opposite spins can occupy a single orbital. This is represented by the two arrows in the orbital diagrams used to depict electron configuration.