Device with transfer of KE-PE each cycle & losses

In summary, the conversation discusses a school project to create a mechanical device that transfers 1 J of energy between two forms and accurately calculates the individual energies and the percentage loss between them. The initial idea of using a pendulum was unsuccessful due to difficulties in calculating the velocity at the bottom of the swing with consideration for air resistance. Suggestions for a new, simpler device were discussed, with the idea of using a spring and mass bouncing horizontally being the most promising. The conversation also touches on the need to simplify the calculations by avoiding air resistance and using friction as the loss mechanism instead. The conversation ends with a request to write the equations for the device without friction and discuss potential changes with a small amount of friction.
Lightness
I have a project which is to create a mechanical device that would transfer close to 1 J of energy from one form to another and must be able to show how you calculated the 2 energy individualy and show that the energy loss between the 2 is within a % difference.

I posted on here yesterday asking help on calculated the Ep and Ek of a pendulum (which was my initial device idea). Now finding Ep of a pendulum was easy, the real problem came at finding the value of Ek after loss of energy due to air resistance. In order to find Ek we would have to find velocity. since we couldn't just go Ek=Ek and figure out the velocity that
way because we have to take air resistance and loss of energy due into consideration, there was really no other way of going about finding velocity at the bottom without some really scientific device. So that idea ended up being a fail.

Now this project is suppose to be due tomorrow and I have yet to thought of another device that could transfer energy for one form to another and be able to calculate each energy individualy.

If you guys van give me any suggestions for a simple device, I would be much appreciated. Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Lightness said:
I have a project which is to create a mechanical device that would transfer close to 1 J of energy from one form to another and must be able to show how you calculated the 2 energy individualy and show that the energy loss between the 2 is within a % difference.

I posted on here yesterday asking help on calculated the Ep and Ek of a pendulum (which was my initial device idea). Now finding Ep of a pendulum was easy, the real problem came at finding the value of Ek after loss of energy due to air resistance. In order to find Ek we would have to find velocity. since we couldn't just go Ek=Ek and figure out the velocity that
way because we have to take air resistance and loss of energy due into consideration, there was really no other way of going about finding velocity at the bottom without some really scientific device. So that idea ended up being a fail.

Now this project is suppose to be due tomorrow and I have yet to thought of another device that could transfer energy for one form to another and be able to calculate each energy individualy.

If you guys van give me any suggestions for a simple device, I would be much appreciated. Thanks for the help!

Since this is your schoolwork assignment, we cannot do the work for you. At best, we can offer hints and ask questions that may help you to figure out a suitable mechanism and do the calculations.

Since friction seems like the most likely way to introduce losses, what oscillatory mechanisms can you think of that have some frictional losses?

berkeman said:
Since this is your schoolwork assignment, we cannot do the work for you. At best, we can offer hints and ask questions that may help you to figure out a suitable mechanism and do the calculations.

Since friction seems like the most likely way to introduce losses, what oscillatory mechanisms can you think of that have some frictional losses?

I have thought of doing a spring of a mass on it and its just bouncing up and down. So that would be from Elastic potential to Kinetic energy. But again the problem comes with finding the velocity right at the middle. Since we have to take that energy will be lost to consideration it will be extremely hard or even impossible to find the velocity and calculate Ek with that velocity.

Lightness said:
I have thought of doing a spring of a mass on it and its just bouncing up and down. So that would be from Elastic potential to Kinetic energy. But again the problem comes with finding the velocity right at the middle. Since we have to take that energy will be lost to consideration it will be extremely hard or even impossible to find the velocity and calculate Ek with that velocity.

I would have chosen a similar mechanism, but I tend to think sideways rather than up and down.

BTW, how far are you in calculus right now? Have you had some differential equations?

berkeman said:
I would have chosen a similar mechanism, but I tend to think sideways rather than up and down.

BTW, how far are you in calculus right now? Have you had some differential equations?
I am in grade 10 so I have only pass grade 10 Math.

I really liked the idea of the pendulum, and the Ep to Ek transformation. But there is really no accurate way of finding out the velocity to calculate Ek.

Lightness said:
I am in grade 10 so I have only pass grade 10 Math.

I really liked the idea of the pendulum, and the Ep to Ek transformation. But there is really no accurate way of finding out the velocity to calculate Ek.

Well, without using calculus, you will need to make some simplifying assumptions, IMO.

One is to avoid using air resistance as the loss mechanism. It is velocity-dependent, which complicates the equations. Using rubbing friction instead should help to simplify things.

So I'd recommend using a horizontal setup of the spring and mass, on a low-friction surface. If the losses are small for each cycle, you can make some simplifying assumptions about the effect of the losses on the motion of the mass.

Can you write the equations for when there is no friction? Then what are your ideas for how the equations will change with a very small amount of friction?

Related to Device with transfer of KE-PE each cycle & losses

What is a device with transfer of KE-PE each cycle?

A device with transfer of KE-PE (kinetic energy-potential energy) each cycle is a machine or system that converts energy from one form to another, specifically from kinetic energy to potential energy and vice versa, in each cycle of its operation.

What are some examples of devices with transfer of KE-PE each cycle?

Some common examples of devices with transfer of KE-PE each cycle include pendulums, roller coasters, and certain types of engines such as Stirling engines and steam engines.

What is the purpose of a device with transfer of KE-PE each cycle?

The purpose of a device with transfer of KE-PE each cycle is to efficiently convert energy from one form to another for various purposes such as generating electricity, powering machinery, or providing a source of motion.

What are the losses associated with devices with transfer of KE-PE each cycle?

The losses associated with devices with transfer of KE-PE each cycle include friction, air resistance, and heat dissipation. These losses result in a decrease in the overall efficiency of the device.

How can the losses in devices with transfer of KE-PE each cycle be minimized?

The losses in devices with transfer of KE-PE each cycle can be minimized by using high-quality materials to reduce friction, streamlining the design to minimize air resistance, and implementing efficient cooling systems to reduce heat dissipation. Regular maintenance and proper lubrication can also help to minimize losses.