Solve Difficult Integral: ∫ex t-2 dt

In summary, the conversation discusses a differential equations integral involving ex and t-2, with the original problem being incorrectly stated as ∫ex t-2 dt instead of the correct form ∫e-x2 x-2 dt. The correct integral is evaluated and a discussion about its possible solutions for different forms of x is had.
Prof. 27

Homework Statement

Hi, I'm doing a variation of parameters problem for my differential equations class. It requires solving the integral:

∫ex t-2 dt

I am sure my professor did not give me an impossible integral and that there is some algebraic "trick" to solving it, but despite going through several iterations of integration by parts I am unable to find it (I have encountered similar problems before but my memory of them is fuzzy).

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

Several Integration by parts attempts. I looked for a cancellation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Prof. 27 said:

Homework Statement

Hi, I'm doing a variation of parameters problem for my differential equations class. It requires solving the integral:

∫ex t-2 dt

Both ##x## and ##t## in there?

I am sure my professor did not give me an impossible integral and that there is some algebraic "trick" to solving it, but despite going through several iterations of integration by parts I am unable to find it (I have encountered similar problems before but my memory of them is fuzzy).

Homework Equations

None

Please give us a statement of the original problem and your work so far. How do we know your integral is correct?

Prof. 27 said:

Homework Statement

∫ex t-2 dt

Homework Equations

None

If you have written the integral correctly, it's a very simple one to evaluate. Here ex can be treated as a constant.

Oh I'm so sorry! I mis-wrote the integral. It is:

∫e-x2 x-2 dt

Prof. 27 said:
Oh I'm so sorry! I mis-wrote the integral. It is:

∫e-x2 x-2 dt

If you mean ##\int e^{-x^2} x^{-2} \, dt##, that is easy: it is ##e^{-x^2} x^{-2} \int dt = e^{-x^2}x^{-2} (t+C)##. If you mean ##\int e^{-x^2}x^{-2} \, dx##, that is a different matter entirely. The integral is do-able in terms of the so-called error function.

On the other hand, if in the first form above the ##x## is a function of ##t##, the integral may be intractable for certain functions ##x = x(t)##.

Last edited:

1. What is an integral and why is it difficult to solve?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve. It is difficult to solve because it involves finding the antiderivative of a function, which can be complex and require advanced techniques.

2. What is e and why is it included in the integral?

e is a mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.718. It is included in the integral because it is the base of the natural logarithm, which is commonly used in integration.

3. How do I approach solving this integral?

The first step is to try to simplify the integrand by using algebraic manipulations or substitution. If that is not possible, then you can try using integration by parts or other integration techniques. If all else fails, you may need to use numerical methods to approximate the integral.

4. Can this integral be solved analytically?

Yes, this integral can be solved analytically. By using the substitution u = t-2, the integral becomes ∫ex du which has a simple antiderivative of ex. However, if the limits of integration are not specified, the result will include a constant of integration.

5. What are some applications of solving difficult integrals?

Solving difficult integrals is essential in many fields of science and engineering, including physics, chemistry, and economics. It allows us to model and understand complex systems and make predictions about their behavior. For example, integrals are used in calculating the work done by a force, finding the center of mass of an object, and determining the area under a probability distribution curve.