Direction of Electron in Homogeneous Electric Field

In summary, the conversation discusses a question on the direction of an electron in a homogeneous electric field. The participants mention the use of the right-hand-rule, but it is clarified that this is not necessary as the force and acceleration in an electric field are constant. The conversation also touches on the similarities between solving this problem and projectile motion in a gravitational field. Finally, the participants discuss the direction of the electric field and use the coordinates of the turning point to determine the time and kinematic equations for the electron's motion.
Fabon

Homework Statement

I'm right now trying to solve a question concerning the direction of an electron in an electric field.
There is the picture I added given and you know that there is a homogeneous electric field.
The blue line represents the movement of an electron (there is no movements up or down) which enters the field in the point A.

The question: In which direction points the electric field?

Homework Equations

It's not about equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I'm aware of rules like the right-hand-rule, but I'm especially confused since there is an electric (and not magnetic) field - I have never before dealt with electric fields.

I hope you can help me.

Attachments

• field.PNG
    field.PNG
    9.4 KB · Views: 478
Physics news on Phys.org
Fabon said:

Homework Statement

I'm right now trying to solve a question concerning the direction of an electron in an electric field.
There is the picture I added given and you know that there is a homogeneous electric field.
The blue line represents the movement of an electron (there is no movements up or down) which enters the field in the point A.

The question: In which direction points the electric field?

Homework Equations

It's not about equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I'm aware of rules like the right-hand-rule, but I'm especially confused since there is an electric (and not magnetic) field - I have never before dealt with electric fields.

I hope you can help me.

It is a homogeneous electric field. What do you know about the force that acts on the electron in that field? Is the force constant during the motion?
How does a particle move if a constant force acts on it? What is its acceleration? Is the acceleration constant during the motion?

ehild said:
It is a homogeneous electric field. What do you know about the force that acts on the electron in that field? Is the force constant during the motion?
How does a particle move if a constant force acts on it? What is its acceleration? Is the acceleration constant during the motion?

Yes! The force and the acceleration is constant.

Maybe I can use the right-hand-rule? Or just for magnetic fields?

Fabon said:
Yes! The force and the acceleration is constant.

Maybe I can use the right-hand-rule? Or just for magnetic fields?

Er... why are you invoking a magnetic field when there isn't any?

You may not be aware of this, but you HAVE solved a similar type of problem already! This is no different than solving a projectile motion in a gravitational field, where the gravitational force is constant and uniform (i.e. intro kinematics in first year physics!). Just because the nature of the force is different (going from gravitational force/weight to electrostatic force), it doesn't mean that how it is treated is also different.

So unless you slept through your intro physics class, you should already have the skills to answer this.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
This is no different than solving a projectile motion in a gravitational field, where the gravitational force is constant and uniform (i.e. intro kinematics in first year physics!). Just because the nature of the force is different (going from gravitational force/weight to electrostatic force), it doesn't mean that how it is treated is also different.

Well that's a great explanation - thank you!
Concerning your explanation, the field would point in a direction as I drew on the picture?

Attachments

• field - Kopie.PNG
    field - Kopie.PNG
    9.9 KB · Views: 464
This is pretty much the starting point of electric fields. The electric force acting on a charge in the presence of an electric field is:
##\newcommand{\vect}[1]{\boldsymbol{#1}}##
##\vect{F} = q\vect{E}##

where ##q## is the charge (measured in Coulombs) and ##\vect{E}## is the electric field (measured in V/m or equivalently N/C).

Is the charge of an electron negative or positive? What does this tell you about the direction of the force due to an electric field acting on an electron?

Don't confuse yourself with the right hand rule. This is all about the electric field, not the magnetic field. The magnetic field is different. The force due to the electric field is much simpler than the force due to a magnetic field.

ZapperZ said:
So unless you slept through your intro physics class, you should already have the skills to answer this.

This is not kind, nurturing, or helpful. If, on the other hand, your goal is to make people feel stupid, you're probably on to something.

Sometimes even smart people don't see what is obvious. When that happens, I think a patient approach is in order, in which you guide the individual back to what he does know and proceeding from there to the unknown. It is not appropriate in such a case to insult the guy's intelligence or to call into question his work ethic.

Fabon said:
Well that's a great explanation - thank you!
Concerning your explanation, the field would point in a direction as I drew on the picture?
The force might point in that direction, but what about the electric field? If it points upward, what is the direction of the acceleration of the electron?
And you can figure out the exact direction from the figure. You can read the coordinates of the turning point, where the x component of the velocity becomes zero. Apply the equations valid for uniformly accelerating motion.

Hi, I've asked myself a similar question to this problem.
ehild said:
If it points upward, what is the direction of the acceleration of the electron?
Will it go in a parabolic way downwards?

Is this the right direction for the electric field?
field2.png

In school, we've only discused about electrons which are arriving perpendicular or parallel to the electric field. Can someone give me a small hint, how to do this in this case?

Thanks,
Jeff

You are right, the electric field points downward and to the right. You can find the slope from the figure:
The electron accelerates both in the x and y direction. Write up the kinematic equations of the uniformly accelerating motion.
Read the coordinates of the turning point, where the x component of the velocity becomes zero. You can assume that the smallest scale corresponds to 1 m , so the turning point is (19,3).
You get the time when the electron reaches the turning point from the equation vx=vo+axt =0
Using that t in the equations for x and y, you get expressions both for ax and ay, in terms of vo. Take the ratio, vo cancels. That ratio is the slope of the force. The slope of the field is opposite.

Last edited:
Likes JeffT
JeffT said:
Is this the right direction for the electric field?
View attachment 88189
Suppose you rotate your figure so that the parabola is oriented like the trajectory of a ball thrown in the air. Does your black arrow point parallel (or anti-parallel) to the acceleration of gravity?

Attachments

• Electron trajectory rotated.png
    Electron trajectory rotated.png
    33 KB · Views: 486
Likes JeffT and ehild
Sorry for my long absence, first I thought I've solved the problem, but after thinking a little bit, it doesn't make sense.
TSny said:
Does your black arrow point parallel (or anti-parallel) to the acceleration of gravity?
I think parallel.

ehild said:
You get the time when the electron reaches the turning point
For the time t I had: [tex]t=- \frac{V_0}{a_x}[/tex]
And for [tex]a_x=\frac{V_0^2}{2s}[/tex]
(V0+ax* t=0 and s = 1/2 ax* t^2)
Is this right? I thought, the acceleration should be negative, because it slows the electron down?

I've took the ratio of ax and ay and calculated the angle, unfortunately it is rounded ca. 60 degrees, which doesn't sounds right.

JeffT said:
Sorry for my long absence, first I thought I've solved the problem, but after thinking a little bit, it doesn't make sense.

I think parallel.For the time t I had: [tex]t=- \frac{V_0}{a_x}[/tex]
And for [tex]a_x=\frac{V_0^2}{2s}[/tex]
(V0+ax* t=0 and s = 1/2 ax* t^2)
Is this right? I thought, the acceleration should be negative, because it slows the electron down?

I've took the ratio of ax and ay and calculated the angle, unfortunately it is rounded ca. 60 degrees, which doesn't sounds right.

Your result is wrong, What is the numerical value of s? How did you get ay?

JeffT said:
I think parallel.

Your black arrow does not point parallel or antiparallel to the field direction. I thought it would be helpful to consider the parabolic trajectory of a ball kicked from ground level and returning to the ground. In this case, you know how the direction of the gravitational field is oriented relative to the parabola.

Likes JeffT
ehild said:
What is the numerical value of s?
I used s for the distance: sx=19.3 and sy=11.4
ehild said:
How did you get ay?
I think I found my mistake:
I used the time tx in the equation: [tex]s_y=\frac{a_y}{2}t^2=\frac{a_y}{2}*4*\frac{V_0^2}{a_x^2}[/tex]
Then I replaced ax with [tex]a_x=\frac{V_0^2}{2s}[/tex]
And calculated ay: [tex]a_y=\frac{V_0^2*s_y}{8(s_x)^2}[/tex]
Now it make sense: [tex]tan^-1(\frac{a_y}{a_x})=8.4^{\circ}[/tex]

TSny said:
In this case, you know how the direction of the gravitational field is oriented relative to the parabola.
Thanks, that makes it more easier to understand.

JeffT said:
I used s for the distance: sx=19.3 and sy=11.4
What are these numbers? What are sx and sy? Why do you not use the coordinates of the turning point?

ehild said:
What are these numbers? What are sx and sy? Why do you not use the coordinates of the turning point?
Your're right, it's easier to use the coordinates of the turning point S(19 | 3)(sx|sy), instead of the whole way. With these point, [tex]a_y=\frac{V_0^2*s_y}{2s_x^2}[/tex] the result is the same. Is this correct?

Still overcomplicated a bit. For the turning point, x=ax/2 t2, and y=ay/2 t2. You need ay/ax.

Likes JeffT

Related to Direction of Electron in Homogeneous Electric Field

What is an electron?

An electron is a subatomic particle that carries a negative charge. It is one of the fundamental building blocks of matter and is found in the outer shells of atoms.

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where an electrically charged particle experiences a force. It is created by other charged particles and can be either attractive or repulsive.

How does an electron behave in an electric field?

An electron in an electric field will experience a force due to the interaction between its negative charge and the electric field. The direction of the force depends on the direction of the electric field and the charge of the electron.

What is the equation for the force on an electron in an electric field?

The force on an electron in an electric field can be calculated using the equation F = qE, where F is the force in Newtons, q is the charge of the electron in Coulombs, and E is the strength of the electric field in Newtons per Coulomb.

How does an electron's movement affect the electric field?

An electron's movement can affect the electric field by changing its strength and direction. As the electron moves, it creates its own electric field that interacts with the existing field, causing changes in the overall field.