1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Distintion Maths Challenge

1. Mar 13, 2005 #1

aek

Distinction Maths Challenge

the line 2x + 3y-8=0 cuts the x and y axis at A and B respectively. The line y=ax+7 is called l. Find

a). in terms of a, the coordinates of the point where l cuts AB (extended).

b). the value of a if l is to divide AB internally in the ratio of 1:3.

please i need your help,
    thanks in advance.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2005 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If I cuts AB then the point of intersection (x,y) is a solution to the equations of both lines. So just equate the two and get the expression for x and y in terms of a.

[tex]2x + 3(ax + 7) - 8 = 0[/tex] so:

[tex]x = -13/(3a + 2)[/tex]

Do the same thing for y.

A and B are the respective intersections of lines x=0 and y=0 with the line 2x + 3y-8=0. The points (0,A) (B,0) and (0,0) form a triangle with lengths A0B. Find A and B.

If I divides AB at P in a ratio of 1:3 (ie PB/AP = 3) what is the ratio of the x coordinate at P to the x coordinate at B? (draw a vertical line from P to the x axis (intersecting at x') and compare triangles A0B to Px'B). That will give you the x coordinate of P.

Just substitute the x coordinate of P into the expression for a from 1. to find a.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?