Dynamics Problem in two dimensions

In summary, for a science fair project, a rocket with a mass of 0.8kg will launch vertically with a constant thrust of 15.0N. The target will be approaching at a speed of 15m/s and is 30m above the launch point. To find the horizontal distance between the target and the rocket, we must take into account the gravitational force and find the net force acting on the rocket. Using this, we can calculate the acceleration and the time it takes for the rocket to travel 30m.
mst3kjunkie
5. As a science fair project, you want to launch an 800g model rocket straight up and hit a horizontally moving targer as it passes 30 m above the launch point. the rockey engine provides a constant thrust of 15.0N. The target is approaching at a speed of 15m/s. At what horizontal distance between the target and the rocket should you launch

known:
change in x of rocket=change in y of target=0 m
change in y of rocket=30m
mass of rocket=800g=.800kg
Force applied to rocket in x direction=0 N
Force applied to rocket in y direction=15.0 N
velocity of target in x direction=15 m/s

F1y=15.0 N=ma1y
15.0=(.800)a1y
18.8=a1y

This is about as far as I have gotten. How do I make my way to finding the horizontal distance?

Physics news on Phys.org
well, first..the rocket provides a constant thrust of 15N..you forgot to include gravitational forces. (0.8x9.8)..then find the net force, with that, youll find the acceleration of the rocket, then you can find the time it takes to travel 30m...and ill let you do it from there:)

thank you so much. I completely forgot to take gravitational force into account. This solves my problem.

Related to Dynamics Problem in two dimensions

1. What is meant by dynamics problem in two dimensions?

A dynamics problem in two dimensions involves studying the motion of objects in a two-dimensional space, taking into account forces, acceleration, and velocity in two perpendicular directions.

2. What are the key principles of solving a dynamics problem in two dimensions?

The key principles include breaking down the problem into smaller parts, identifying and drawing all relevant forces, using Newton's laws of motion, and applying vector addition and subtraction to determine the net force and acceleration in each direction.

3. How do you calculate the net force in a two-dimensional dynamics problem?

The net force can be calculated by adding or subtracting all the forces acting on the object in each direction. This can be done using vector addition and subtraction, taking into account the direction and magnitude of each force.

4. How do you determine the acceleration of an object in a two-dimensional dynamics problem?

The acceleration can be determined by dividing the net force by the mass of the object. In a two-dimensional problem, this process is done separately for each direction.

5. What are some common types of two-dimensional dynamics problems?

Common types of two-dimensional dynamics problems include projectile motion, circular motion, and objects moving on inclined planes. These problems involve different forces and acceleration in two perpendicular directions.