1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric charge in a shell

1. Apr 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(Note: Don't worry about significant digits. I just want to be able to do the question and will worry about significant digits on the exam.)

In the figure below, a non-conducting spherical shell of inner radius a=2.00cm and outer radius b=2.40cm has (within its thickness) a positive volume density [tex]\rho[/tex]=A/r, where A is a constant and r is the distance from the centre of the shell. In addition, a small ball of charge q=45.0 fC is located at the centre.

What value should A have if the electric field in the shell (a[tex]\leq[/tex]r[tex]\leq[/tex]b) is to be uniform?

(See attached file for the picture. sorry it isn't very good. That's a "q" beside the +ve charge in the middle.)

2. Relevant equations

Charge density : [tex]\rho= \frac{dq}{dV}[/tex]

Volume : [tex]V = 4\pi r^3[/tex]

Electric field : [tex]E = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon} \int \frac{dq}{r^2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

E at a distance r anywhere within [a, b] is constant.
    E is caused by the point charge and distribution of charges in the volume.

[tex]E_{net}[/tex] is constant, therefore

[tex] \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon} \int \frac{dq_{charge}}{r_{charge}^2} = - \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon} \int \frac{dq_{volume}}{r_{volume}^2}[/tex]

the E for a point charge doesn't need to have an integral, because it works out that way.

[tex] \frac{q_{charge}}{r^2} = - \int \frac{dq_{volume}}{r_{volume}^2}[/tex]

Charge density : [tex]\rho= \frac{A}{r} = \frac{dq}{dV}[/tex]

[tex]dq = \frac{A}{r} dV[/tex]

[tex] \frac{q_{charge}}{r^2} = - \int \frac{A dV}{r^3}[/tex]

dV is related to r because [tex]V = \frac{4}{3} \pi (r^3 - a^3)[/tex]

then [tex]r^3 = \frac{3V + 4 \pi a^3}{4 \pi}[/tex]

[tex] \frac{q_{charge}}{r^2} = - \int \frac{4 \pi A dV}{3V + 4 \pi a^3}[/tex]

[tex] \frac{q_{charge}}{r^2} = - 4 \pi A \int \frac{dV}{3V + 4 \pi a^3}[/tex]

[tex] \frac{q_{charge}}{r^2} = - \frac{4 \pi A}{3} ln (3V + 4 \pi a^3)[/tex]

I don't know what to do after this, and I don't know what to do. I don't know if I messed up something.

This may be supposed to be done with Gauss' Law, but I couldn't figure out what to do with that.

Gauss' Law : [tex]\Phi = \oint E da[/tex] (In this case since E and a are in the same direction, the dot product just became E da)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted