Electric field direction on a grounded conducting sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the method of images to find the potential and electric field on the surface of a grounded conducting sphere in the presence of a point charge. The potential and electric field equations are derived and it is found that the electric field outside the sphere is not always radially pointed outward and does not make a 90° angle with the surface of the sphere. The correct potential equation is corrected and it is confirmed that the electric field at the surface of the sphere is only pointing in the radial direction.
zapman345
Homework Statement
Is the angle that the electric field makes on the surface of a grounded conducting sphere near a (positive) point charge 90°? I.e. is the electric field pointed radially outward from the sphere.
Relevant Equations
##E=-\nabla V##
I am required to find the direction of the electric field on the surface of a grounded conducting sphere in the proximity of a point charge ##+q##. The distance between the center of the sphere and the point charge is ##d## and using the method of images we find that the charge of the sphere is ##q' = -\frac{R}{d}q## then we can calculate the potential which I found here:
$$V\left(\vec{r}\right) =\frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\left[\frac{1}{\sqrt{d^{2}+r^{2}-2dr\cos\left(\theta\right)}}-\frac{\frac{R}{d}}{\sqrt{\left(\frac{R^{2}}{d}\right)^{2}+r^{2}-2\left(\frac{R^{2}}{d}\right)r\cos\left(\theta\right)}}\right]$$
Now we also know that the electric field is:
\begin{align*}

E & =-\nabla V\\

& =-\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial r}\hat{r}+\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial V}{\partial\theta}\hat{\theta}+\frac{1}{r\sin\left(\theta\right)}\frac{\partial V}{\partial\phi}\hat{\phi}\right)\\

& =-\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial r}\hat{r}+\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial V}{\partial\theta}\hat{\theta}\right)\\

\end{align*}
Can I from this positively say that the electric field outside the sphere is not radially pointed outward only, and thus does not make a 90° angle with the surface of the sphere?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't you need to evaluate ##\frac{\partial V}{\partial\theta}## at r=R?

I did but that wouldn't make the ##\theta## component vanish cause I find that $$E_{\theta} = -\frac{1}{r}\cdot\left(\frac{rR^{3}\sin(\theta)}{d^{2}\left(\frac{R^{4}}{d^{2}}-\frac{2rR^{2}\cos(\theta)}{d}+r^{2}\right)^{3/2}}-\frac{dr\sin(\theta)}{\left(d^{2}-2dr\cos(\theta)+r^{2}\right)^{3/2}}\right)\hat{\theta}$$ Which even at ##r=R## doesn't vanish, it does vanish for ##\theta=0## but that is a trivial solution as that is the line directly between the real and fictive charge used in the method of images. For any ##\theta\neq0## this won't vanish but intuitively I think it should vanish because we're talking about a spherical object.

Consider the case R →∞ , you should recover the flat plane case for the potential. I think you need to worry about the angle for the image charge...you seem have a sign wrong.

You were right. The potential I had calculated should be $$
\begin{align*}

V\left(\vec{r}\right) & =\frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\left[\frac{1}{\sqrt{r^{2}+d^{2}-2dr\cos\left(\theta\right)}}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{R^{2}+\left(\frac{rd}{R}\right)^{2}-2dr\cos\left(\theta\right)}}\right]\\

\end{align*}$$
Then for the electric field you will find $$\begin{align*}
E & =-\frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\left\{ \left(\frac{2\left(\frac{d}{R}\right)^{2}r-2d\cos(\theta)}{2\left(R^{2}+\left(\frac{dr}{R}\right)^{2}-2ar\cos(\theta)\right)^{3/2}}+\frac{2r-2d\cos(\theta)}{2\left(r^{2}+d^{2}-2dr\cos(\theta)\right)^{3/2}}\right)\hat{r}+\frac{1}{r}\cdot\left(\frac{dr\sin\left(\theta\right)}{\left(R^{2}+\left(\frac{rd}{R}\right)^{2}-2dr\cos\left(\theta\right)\right)^{3/2}}-\frac{dr\sin\left(\theta\right)}{\left(r^{2}+d^{2}-2dr\cos\left(\theta\right)\right)^{3/2}}\right)\hat{\theta}\right\}

\end{align*}$$

Which reduces to
\begin{align*}

E\left(r=R\right) & =-\frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\left(\frac{d^{2}-R^{2}}{R\left(R^{2}+d^{2}-2dR\cos(\theta)\right)^{3/2}}\hat{r}+0\hat{\theta}\right)\\

& =-\frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\left(\frac{d^{2}-R^{2}}{R\left(R^{2}+d^{2}-2dR\cos(\theta)\right)^{3/2}}\right)\hat{r}

\end{align*}

Pointing only in the radial direction on the surface as expected. Thank you for all your help.

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the force experienced by a charged particle in the presence of other charges. It is represented by a vector and is measured in units of Newtons per Coulomb (N/C).

How does a grounded conducting sphere affect the electric field direction?

When a conducting sphere is grounded, it becomes an equipotential surface, meaning that the potential at every point on the surface is the same. This results in the electric field lines being perpendicular to the surface of the sphere, pointing away from the surface.

What is the difference between an electric field and an electric potential?

An electric field describes the force experienced by a charged particle, while electric potential describes the potential energy per unit charge at a given point in the electric field. In other words, electric potential is a scalar quantity while electric field is a vector quantity.

How is the direction of the electric field determined on a grounded conducting sphere?

The direction of the electric field on a grounded conducting sphere is determined by the direction of the electric field lines. These lines always point away from positive charges and towards negative charges, so on a grounded sphere, they will point away from the surface.

Can the electric field direction on a grounded conducting sphere be changed?

The direction of the electric field on a grounded conducting sphere can be changed by changing the charge distribution on the surface of the sphere. This can be done by adding or removing charges, or by changing the potential of the sphere.