Electric field inside a uniformly polarized cylinder

In summary, the problem involves a long cylinder with a uniform polarization perpendicular to its axis and we need to find the electric field inside the cylinder using Gauss' law. By solving the problem using a positively and negatively polarized cylinder, we find that the electric field is equal to half the magnitude of the polarization divided by the electric constant. However, the solutions manual claims that the vector ##\vec{d}## going from the negative to the positive axis is equal to the difference between the vectors ##\vec{s_+}## and ##\vec{s_-}##, which may seem incorrect at first glance.
Potatochip911

Homework Statement

This is problem 4.13 from Griffiths. A long cylinder of radius a carries a uniform polarization P perpendicular to its axis. Find the electric field inside the cylinder.

Homework Equations

##\int \vec{E}\cdot dA = q_{encl}/\varepsilon_0##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
We solve the problem by using a positive and negatively polarized cylinder:
Using Gauss' law we find

$$ \vec{E}(2\pi \vec{s} l) = \frac{\rho \pi \vec{s}^2 l}{\varepsilon_0} \\ \Rightarrow \vec{E} = \frac{\rho}{2\varepsilon_0}\vec{s}$$

then
$$\vec{E_+} = \frac{\rho}{2\varepsilon_0}\vec{s_+} \\ \vec{E_-} = -\frac{\rho}{2\varepsilon_0}\vec{s_-}$$

Summing together gives

$$\vec{E} = \frac{\rho}{2\varepsilon_0}\left(\vec{s_+} - \vec{s_-} \right)$$

and since for dipoles we define the vector ##\vec{d}## going from the negative to the positive charge ##\vec{d} = s_+ - s_-##

$$\vec{E} = \frac{\rho \vec{d}}{2\varepsilon_0} = \frac{\vec{P}}{2\varepsilon_0}$$

However, in the solutions manual they claim ##\vec{d}## is going from the negative to the positive axis and that ##\vec{s_+}-\vec{s_-} = -\vec{d}## which I am having a hard time believing as from a simple diagram this seems incorrect.

vector.png

Attachments

• vector.png
    vector.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 1,117
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't draw a diagram, but I think I can describe the picture: Assume the + cylinder is translated to the right by a vector ## \vec{d} ##. (The cross-sectional view involves two circles of radius ## a ## in the x-y plane, with the + circle a distance ## d ## to the right of the - circle). Then, at a given location ## \vec{r} ## where the electric field is being determined, e.g. upward and to the right of the origin, ## \vec{s_-} ## will be the longer vector in reaching the location ## \vec{r} ##. We can write ## \vec{s_-}=\vec{s_+}+\vec{d} ##.

Likes Potatochip911
Charles Link said:
I can't draw a diagram, but I think I can describe the picture: Assume the + cylinder is translated to the right by a vector ## \vec{d} ##. (The cross-sectional view involves two circles of radius ## a ## in the x-y plane, with the + circle a distance ## d ## to the right of the - circle). Then, at a given location ## \vec{r} ## where the electric field is being determined, e.g. upward and to the right of the origin, ## \vec{s_-} ## will be the longer vector in reaching the location ## \vec{r} ##. We can write ## \vec{s_-}=\vec{s_+}+\vec{d} ##.

Am I drawing it incorrectly? I still don't find the same result as you.
vecto2.png

Attachments

• vecto2.png
    vecto2.png
    3 KB · Views: 1,223
Potatochip911 said:
Am I drawing it incorrectly? I still don't find the same result as you.
View attachment 221841
Your drawing is incorrect. ## d ## is a shift of the origins of two circles, each of radius ## a ##, along the x-axis. A point ## \vec{r} ## is common to both of them. ## \vec{s}_+ ## is a vector from the rightmost origin to ## \vec{r} ##, and ##\vec{s}_- ## is a vector from the leftmost origin to ## \vec{r} ##.

Likes Potatochip911

1. What is a uniformly polarized cylinder?

A uniformly polarized cylinder is a cylindrical object made of a material that has a uniform polarization, meaning that the electric field within the material is constant and has the same direction at all points.

2. How is the electric field inside a uniformly polarized cylinder calculated?

The electric field inside a uniformly polarized cylinder can be calculated using the equation E = P/ε, where E is the electric field, P is the polarization of the material, and ε is the permittivity of the material.

3. What is the direction of the electric field inside a uniformly polarized cylinder?

The direction of the electric field inside a uniformly polarized cylinder is parallel to the polarization of the material. This means that the electric field lines will be oriented in the same direction as the polarization vector.

4. How does the electric field inside a uniformly polarized cylinder compare to the electric field inside a uniformly charged cylinder?

The electric field inside a uniformly polarized cylinder is similar to the electric field inside a uniformly charged cylinder, as both have a constant and uniform electric field. However, in a uniformly polarized cylinder, the electric field is due to the alignment of the material's dipoles, whereas in a uniformly charged cylinder, the electric field is due to the distribution of charges.

5. Can the electric field inside a uniformly polarized cylinder be zero?

Yes, the electric field inside a uniformly polarized cylinder can be zero if the polarization vector is aligned with the direction of the electric field, or if the material has a zero polarization. In these cases, the electric field inside the cylinder will be canceled out by the polarization of the material.