1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field Vector for point charge

1. Jan 15, 2008 #1
    b]1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data[/b]

Point charge q1= -5.00 is at the origin and point charge q2= +3.00 is on the -x axis at x= 3.00 cm. Point P is on the y-axis at y= 4.00 cm .

Calculate the electric fields E1 and E2 at point P due to the charges q1 and q2. Express your results in terms of unit vectors (see example 21.6 in the textbook).

Express your answer in terms of the unit vectors [tex]\hat{i}[/tex] , [tex]\hat{j}[/tex]. E

2. Relevant equations

r = [tex]\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/tex]

[tex]\hat{r}[/tex] = ([tex]\vec{r}[/tex]/r =x[tex]\hat{i}[/tex] + y[tex]\hat{j}[/tex]) / r
    [tex]\vec{E}[/tex] = k * q/r^2 8 [tex]\hat{r}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

So E1 will be the vector from q1 to point P
    r = [tex]\sqrt{0^2 + .04^2}[/tex] = .04 m

[tex]\hat{r}[/tex] = (0[tex]\hat{i}[/tex] + .04[tex]\hat{j}[/tex])/.04 = 0[tex]\hat{i}[/tex] + 1[tex]\hat{j}[/tex]

E1 = (8.98 e 9) * (-5.00 e -9) / .04^2 (0[tex]\hat{i}[/tex] + 1[tex]\hat{j}[/tex])
    = 0[tex]\hat{i}[/tex] - 2.81 e 4[tex]\hat{j}[/tex]

i did the exact same steps to find E2 and
    E2 = 6.47 e 2[tex]\hat{i}[/tex] + 8.62 e 2[tex]\hat{j}[/tex]

am i doing something wrong accordin to the steps i used because my answers are wrong. and i even followed the way the steps were in the book.
    i dont get it :confused:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted