Electric Fields & Potentials: A Point Charge Surrounded by a Spherical Shell

In summary: I'm a bit confused here.Also, do you have any pointers on how I could approach this problem from the other direction? I.e. first finding the potential and then differentiating to get the fields?I am sorry, I made a mistake in my previous post. The electric field outside the shell is not Q / (4 * Pi * eps * r^2), it is Q / (4 * Pi * eps * r^2) for r>b, and a different function for a<r<b. ehildI am sorry, I was mixing the cases. The electric field outside the shell is not Q / (4 * Pi * eps * r^2), it is Q / (4 * Pi *
awelex

Homework Statement

A point charge +Q is surrounded by a spherical shell of inner radius a and outer radius b. The spherical shell has charge density [tex]\alpha[/tex]r.
a) What is the electric field for r < a?
b) What is the electric field for a < r < b?
c) What is the electric field for r > b?

d) What is the electric potential for r < a?
e) What is the electric potential for a < r < b?
f) What is the electric potential for r > b?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For practice, I'm trying to do the problem in two ways: finding the electric fields first and then integrating to get the potential, and finding the potential first and differentiating to get the fields. But it seems that I'm stuck with both ways:

I've already computed the electric fields (using Gauss' Law). Here they are:
r < a: Q / (4*Pi*Epsilon*r^2)
a < r < b: (Q + (1/2)*[tex]\alpha[/tex]*(r^2-a^2)) / (4*Pi*Epsilon*r^2)
r > b: Q + (1/2)*[tex]\alpha[/tex]*(b^2-a^2)) / (4*Pi*Epsilon*r^2)

To find the potentials, I thought I could simply integrate the fields from r to Infinity. This works in the first case (r < a), giving me a potential of Q / (4*Pi*Epsilon*r)
However, this is as far as it goes: the integral for the second case (a < r < b) doesn't converge if I use r and Infinity as bounds again. I assume I need to use different bounds, but I'm still a bit unclear on how exactly this works.

The second way, finding the potential first, is even harder. I assume it would be
k * Integral(dq/r), but I can't figure out how to express the differential element dq.

Thanks for any hints.

Physics news on Phys.org

The potential is zero at infinity. So start to integrate the electric field strength from r>=b to infinity. From that you get the potential at b. Now integrate from a<=r<=b, and get the potential at a. Last, integrate from r<a to a. Is the charge density ρ=α*r? Then check your results for a<r<b and r>b.

ehild

ehild said:
The potential is zero at infinity. So start to integrate the electric field strength from r>=b to infinity. From that you get the potential at b. Now integrate from a<=r<=b, and get the potential at a. Last, integrate from r<a to a. Is the charge density ρ=α*r? Then check your results for a<r<b and r>b.

Hey ehild,

thanks for your answer. Here's what I still don't understand: I get that if I want to find the potential at b, I integrate from b to infinity. What I don't understand, however, is why I need to integrate from a to b to get the potential at a. Why not from a to infinity? After all, infinity is still the reference, right?

Also, do you have any pointers on how I could solve this problem the other way round, i.e. finding the potentials first?

You can integrate to infinity, but you need to integrate different functions in both domains. And you already know the integral from b to infinity, don't you? Why to calculate it again?

ehild

What is the volume of the shell?

[tex]\frac{4\pi}{3}(b^3-a^3)[/tex]

What is the net charge on the shell?

@ehild: Oh, now it's making sense! Of course, the electric field function is a piecewise function in this case, I totally forgot that. Thanks a lot!

Well, turns out I'm still stuck. I've figured out the potential for a <= r < b, but it doesn't match the potential for r <= a at r=a. I double-checked all my integrals, so I don't think there's something wrong there. I'm starting to think that I messed up with the calculation for the electric fields.

Here's how I calculated the electric field for a < r < b, using Gauss' Law:

Q(enclosed) = Q + alpha * Integral(R, from a to r) = Q + (1/2)*alpha * (r^2 - a^2).

E*A = Q(enclosed)/epsilon

==> E = (Q + (1/2)*alpha * (r^2 - a^2)) / (4*Pi*epsilon*r^2)

Is this correct?

Ah, I found the mistake I made in calculating the electric fields. Q(enclosed) should be
Q + alpha * Integral(4 * r^3 * Pi, from a to r).

However, I still don't get the correct answer for the potential at a < r < b. Here's what I did:

Integrate((Q + alpha * Pi * (r^4 - a^4)) / (4 * Pi * eps * r^2)), from r to b) + Q / (4 * Pi * eps * r^2)

This gives me:

Q / (4 * Pi * eps * r) + (alpha * (b^3 - r^3)) / (12 * eps). If I stick in a for r, I should get Q / (4 * Pi * eps * a), which I don't. So it seems that my bounds are still wrong...

Any hints? I've tried this problem in so many ways now that my head is burning...

Thanks.

The potential inside the shell is U(r)=U(b)+integral(Edr) from r to b.
The potential is not Q / (4 * Pi * eps * r) for r<=a. Ir would be without the outer charges. You are free to chose the potential at a point, so you can assume that it is Q / (4 * Pi * eps * a) at r=a, but then it is not zero at infinity.

ehild

Last edited:

Thanks for your answer, ehild. I still don't see though why the potential isn't / (4 * Pi * eps * r) for r <= a. Here's what I did:

- I found the electric field for r <= a first: Q / (4 * Pi * eps * r^2). I'm pretty sure this is right - after all, it's just Gauss' Law.

- Integrated this from r to infinity, which gives Q / (4 * Pi * eps * r). I just don't see the mistake...

Thanks again for your help. I appreciate your patience.

The electric field is correct. To get the potential, you have to integrate the electric field from r to infinity. But the electric field strength is not Q / (4 * Pi * eps * r^2) for r>a.

ehild

Understood. But it should be Q / (4 * Pi * eps * r^2) for r=a, correct? And since a is the "boundary point" between the potential function for r < a and the potential function for r > a, both functions should give me Q / (4 * Pi * eps * r^2) for r=a. Is that right?

awelex said:
But it should be Q / (4 * Pi * eps * r^2) for r=a, correct? Is that right?

It is right for the electric field strength.

The electric field strength is the negative gradient of the potential. You get the change of potential between two points by integrating between them:

∫dU (from r to a)=-∫Edr (from r to a)--->
U(r)-U(a) = ∫ Q / (4 * Pi * eps * r^2)dr (from r to a),

that is U(r)=Q / (4 * Pi * eps) * (1/r-1/a) +U(a).

If you choose U=0 at infinity, the potential at r<a is

∫E1dr (from r to a) +∫E2dr (from a to b)+∫E3dr (from b to infinity).

The potential at r=a is

∫E2dr (from a to b)+∫E3dr (from b to infinity)

ehild

Hi ehild,

thanks a lot for this. I've found another way to do it: compute the indefinite integrals of the negative of the electric field (once for each field). This gives you three constants of integration. You can get rid of the one for r > b, because it's 0. Now you know that V(r < a) and V(a < r < b) need to be equal when r = a. You also know that V(a < r < b) must equal V(r > b) for r = b. That gives you two equations that you can solve for the two integration constants.
Why that is equivalent to your way I don't understand yet. I'll take another look at it.

I do have one more question, though: we also needed to sketch the graph of the electric field with respect to r. How do I know if the piecewise graph from a to b is concave up or down? It almost seems like I have to curve analysis to find that out...

Both methods-using definite integrals, or indefinite ones and matching the constant - will give the same result.

The E(r) graph can be either concave and convex between a and b, depending on alpha and a, b. You can find it out from the second derivative.

For r>a the graph looks like the electric field of a point charge equal to the total charge of the system. The electric field between a and b is less steep as the charge decreases inward. For r<a, the graph is the same as that of a point charge Q + the additive term so as it matches to E(a) at r=a.

ehild

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that is created by electrically charged particles. It is a vector field, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is responsible for the forces experienced by other charged particles within its vicinity.

2. What is a point charge?

A point charge is a hypothetical charge that is concentrated at a single point in space. It is commonly used in physics to simplify calculations and understand the behavior of electric fields and potentials.

3. How is a point charge affected by a spherical shell?

If a point charge is surrounded by a spherical shell, the electric field at any point outside the shell is the same as if the charge were located at the center of the shell. However, if the point charge is inside the shell, the electric field is zero due to the canceling out of the electric fields from the charge and the shell.

4. What is the relationship between electric potential and electric field?

Electric potential is a measure of the energy required to move a unit charge from one point to another in an electric field. The magnitude of the electric field at a point is equal to the negative of the rate of change of electric potential with respect to distance in that direction.

5. How can the electric potential be calculated for a point charge surrounded by a spherical shell?

The electric potential at any point outside the spherical shell is equal to the product of the point charge and the inverse of the distance between the point and the charge. Inside the shell, the electric potential is constant and equal to the potential at the surface of the shell. To calculate the potential at a specific point, use the formula V = kQ/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the point, and r is the distance between the point and the charge.