Electric potential of insulating rod

In summary, the conversation is about finding the electric potential at a point P in the center of a semicircle made from a uniformly charged insulating rod with a total charge of -8.50e-6C. The formula V=ke(Q/r) is used, where Q is the total charge of the rod and r is the radius, which can be found using the formula for circumference. The final answer is -1.2MV. The conversation also mentions the use of integrals and the lack of response from others due to the lack of work shown.
pattiecake
This hmwk. problem has got me totally buggin...

A uniformly charged insulating rod of length 20cm is bent into the shape of a semicircle (so it looks like the letter "C"). The rod has a total charge of -8.50e-6C. Find the electric potential at a point P, in the center of the semicircle.

I know crazy things happen to electric potential when dealing with insulators...also, will this problem involve integrals?

If anyone has a clue I'd appreciate the guidance! Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why will no one respond? =(

Yes, this requires and integral.

[tex]V=ke \int{dq/r}[/tex]
[tex]V =ke(Q/r)[/tex]

Where Q is the total charge of the rod and r is the radius this rod makes. Remember that circumference=2*pi*r, so use that to find r.

When you figure it out, post your answer.

I think no one has responded because you didn't post any sort of work that you did.
Post up what you have and we can take this further.

thank u so much. i didn't mean to be an answer leech!

i used this formula before: V=Ke(Q/r): using Circumference=2piR to find the radius. The problem was after i got my answer: -2.39, i forgot we were dealing with a semicircle, and that i had to divide by 2. my final answer (which webassign confirmed) was -1.2MV. thanks so much for your help!

What is the electric potential of an insulating rod?

The electric potential of an insulating rod refers to the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge that is present in the rod. It is a measure of the strength of the electric field that is produced by the rod.

How is the electric potential of an insulating rod measured?

The electric potential of an insulating rod can be measured using a voltmeter, which measures the difference in electric potential between two points on the rod. It can also be calculated using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge on the rod, and r is the distance from the rod.

What factors affect the electric potential of an insulating rod?

The electric potential of an insulating rod is affected by the amount of charge on the rod, the distance from the rod, and the permittivity of the surrounding medium. The type of material the rod is made of can also affect its electric potential.

How does the electric potential of an insulating rod differ from a conducting rod?

An insulating rod has a fixed amount of charge and therefore a constant electric potential, while a conducting rod can have varying amounts of charge and thus varying electric potential. Additionally, an insulating rod does not allow the flow of electric current, while a conducting rod does.

What are some practical applications of understanding the electric potential of insulating rods?

Understanding the electric potential of insulating rods is important in various fields such as electrostatics, electrical engineering, and physics. It is used in the design and operation of electrical circuits, capacitors, and other electronic components. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of lightning and in the development of technologies such as electrostatic precipitators for air pollution control.