1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy density of electric field

1. Apr 8, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assume that 10% of the energy dissipated by a 40W light bulb is radiated isotropically in the form of light. What is the magnitude of he E-field at a distance of 1m? What is it for sun light on the Earth's surface, given the Sun provides ~ 1400W/m2>

2. Relevant equations

Energy density = 1/2[tex]\epsilon[/tex][tex]_{}0[/tex]E[tex]^{}2[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok so I know that we have 4W available, but how do I convert this into and energy per unit area on the surface or volume? I assume we have to use the equation for the energy denstiy of a magnetic field given above.
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2008 #2
    If it spreads out isotropically in all directions, then the power [4 W] is uniform at any point on the sphere of the radius, and can be given by:

I = \frac{1}{\pi}~Wm^{-2}

You have the same thing i.e. Intensity for the 'sun' question. Now, Intensity is simply:

I = \frac{Energy \times velocity}{Volume}

so.. i guess i've given u enough hint now.. [at what velocity does e.m energy travel?]
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?