Excel spreedsheet for Range formula- Lab

In summary: You must first change the angle to degrees, there is a function in excel that will do this for you. Next, you would enter the equation for range into the appropriate cell in column B.
brncsfns5621
I have to program the range formula R= [Vo2sin(2*theta)]/g, into an Excel spredsheet. I need to progran the equation for various values of 'theta' to determine for which value(s) of 'thet' is the range maximum.

Table should have left side Injection angle (degrees), right side Range (R). The injection angle will go from 0 to 90 degrees in steps of two degrees.

Problem = I do not know Excel! Can someone help me on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, first you need to pick a value for V_0. Then make the column theta start at some value, and increase 2 degrees in each row until you get to 90. In the next column, you simply type in the equation for range, with the parameters you know, making sure get excel to insert the value in the corresponding left column cell in place of the theta value.

Help

I tried this as well and am receiving a lot of negative numbers which can't be right.

V=10
G=10 m/s^2
In column A I numbered each row 0 to 90 increments of 2.

Then in column B programmed the following formula =10*2*SIN(2*A4)... A4 is the cell number value which = 4 in this case

Then the next row I had it take the value of B and divide it by 10^2 since G=10

Please advise

Physocs_n00b said:
I tried this as well and am receiving a lot of negative numbers which can't be right.

V=10
G=10 m/s^2
In column A I numbered each row 0 to 90 increments of 2.

Then in column B programmed the following formula =10*2*SIN(2*A4)... A4 is the cell number value which = 4 in this case

Then the next row I had it take the value of B and divide it by 10^2 since G=10

Please advise

Be careful!

Excel calculates angles in radians!

You must change to degrees first.. there is a function in excel that does this, but my the life of me I cannot remember :uhh:

1 sec .. .

//

Jerry Hester to the rescue once again (his tutorials really have been invaluable)
http://phoenix.phys.clemson.edu/tutorials/excel/trig.html

Last edited:
Okay that makes sense, but how do I do it when I have an equation such as
V02sin(2Theta)

Physocs_n00b said:
Okay that makes sense, but how do I do it when I have an equation such as
V02sin(2Theta)

Not 100% here, so you may want to check with a calculator .. .

[tex] V_o 2*\sin {(RADIANS(2*\theta)) [/tex]

now how do I apply inExcel??

1. How do I calculate the range in an Excel spreadsheet?

To calculate the range in an Excel spreadsheet, you can use the simple formula "=MAX(range)-MIN(range)", where "range" is the range of cells you want to calculate the range for. This will give you the difference between the highest and lowest values in the range.

2. Can I use the range formula for non-numeric data?

No, the range formula in Excel can only be used for numeric data. If you try to use it on non-numeric data, it will return an error.

3. How can I change the range of cells in the formula?

You can easily change the range of cells in the formula by clicking on the cell with the formula, and then dragging the blue square in the bottom right corner of the cell to include the desired cells in the range.

4. Is there a way to automatically update the range formula when I add new data?

Yes, you can use the "AutoSum" feature in Excel to automatically update the range formula when you add new data. Simply click on the cell with the formula and then click on the "AutoSum" button in the "Editing" section of the "Home" tab. This will automatically adjust the range in the formula to include any new data you have added.

5. Can I use the range formula in multiple cells at once?

Yes, you can use the range formula in multiple cells at once by selecting all the cells where you want the formula to be applied, entering the formula once, and then pressing "Ctrl+Enter" on your keyboard. This will enter the formula in all the selected cells, adjusting the range for each cell accordingly.