1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find angle and speed. Please help!

1. Sep 23, 2007 #1
    A 8.20-kg block of ice, released from rest at the top of a 1.43-m-long frictionless ramp, slides downhill, reaching a speed of 2.11 m/s at the bottom.

What is the angle between the ramp and the horizontal?

What would be the speed of the ice at the bottom if the motion were opposed by a constant friction force of 11.0 N parallel to the surface of the ramp?

I think I use the equations of ax=gsin(theta) and Fn=mgcos(theta)? I'm not sure what to do. Can someone please help me?

Thank you!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2007 #2

Staff: Mentor

With the acceleration component down the ramp, then find the distance traveled to achieve a velocity of 2.11 m/s. It starts at rest.

In the second part, the friction works against the weight component acting down the ramp, so the acceleration is less. Find that acceleration and solve as one does for the first part of the problem.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?