Find Thevenin Equivalent of Circuit

In summary, the Thorton equivalent of the given circuit involves solving for the Rsource by shorting all voltage sources and manipulating the circuit to combine resistors in series and parallel. After manipulation, the two possible values for Rsource are 2111.66 ohms and 51663 ohms.
roinujo1

Homework Statement

Find the Thorton equivalent of the circuit shown
[/B]
upload_2016-10-6_20-14-23.png

Homework Equations

Voc=IscRs
Rseries=R1 +R2+...
Rparallel=R1-1+R2-1+...

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I thought I should first solve for the Rsource, by shorting all of the voltage sources:
upload_2016-10-6_20-24-3.png

However, I don't think the value I am getting is correct.
One value I got is 2111.66 ohms(I combine the 2.2, 2.2, and 5k in series and parallel that with 100k. Then I add the 22k and 22k with the calculated resistance and that is in parallel with the 2.2k)and the other I get is 51663 ohms. (I put the 2.2k from the right with the 2.2k in parallel. Then that combo is in series the other 2.2k and the 5k. That is in parallel with the 100k, and that, finally, is in series with the two 22k)

Please, can someone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not seeing how your 2.2, 2.2, and 5k can be in series.

Try a bit of manipulation of your suppressed-source diagram before you start combining things. Note how the 5K and the 2.2K it connects to are really both tied to the bottom rail? So is one end of both of the 22K resistors. Redraw the circuit to make that more obvious:

upload_2016-10-6_23-59-16.png

Does that help?

I think I understand it a little better. Thank you!

1. What is Thevenin's theorem?

Thevenin's theorem states that any linear electrical network can be replaced by an equivalent circuit consisting of a single voltage source in series with a single resistor.

2. How do you find the Thevenin equivalent of a circuit?

To find the Thevenin equivalent of a circuit, you need to follow these steps:

1. Remove the load resistor from the circuit.
  2. Determine the open-circuit voltage (Voc) across the load resistor.
  3. Calculate the equivalent resistance (Req) of the circuit seen from the load terminals.
  4. Draw the Thevenin equivalent circuit, with the calculated values for Voc and Req.

3. What is the purpose of finding the Thevenin equivalent of a circuit?

Thevenin equivalent circuits are useful for simplifying complex circuits and analyzing their behavior. They can also help in determining the maximum power transfer from a source to a load.

4. Can Thevenin's theorem be applied to non-linear circuits?

No, Thevenin's theorem is only applicable to linear circuits, where the relationship between voltage and current is constant.

5. What is the difference between Thevenin and Norton equivalent circuits?

Thevenin and Norton equivalents are two different ways of simplifying complex circuits. Thevenin equivalent circuits use a voltage source and a series resistor, while Norton equivalent circuits use a current source and a parallel resistor. Both are equivalent in terms of their behavior and can be used interchangeably in circuit analysis.