Finding Equivalent Resistance, Current, and Voltage across a resistor

In summary: This way, I can see what the circuit is doing, including any voltage drops or increases, and can more easily determine the value of the resistor.Hi Rugerts.Answer B is correct.
rugerts
Homework Statement
A) What's equivalent resistance of all four resistors?
B) What is current value of i1?
C) What is voltage across 60 ohm resistor?
Relevant Equations
Parallel connections add like (1/Req) = (1/R1+1/R2)
Series add normally R1+R2+ ...
Current divider: I = Isource*(Req/Ri)
Voltage divider: V = Vsource*(Ri/Req)
1569385726645.png

1569385736859.png

Physics news on Phys.org
rugerts said:
Homework Statement: A) What's equivalent resistance of all four resistors?
B) What is current value of i1?
C) What is voltage across 60 ohm resistor?
Homework Equations: Parallel connections add like (1/Req) = (1/R1+1/R2)
Series add normally R1+R2+ ...
Current divider: I = Isource*(Req/Ri)
Voltage divider: V = Vsource*(Ri/Req)

View attachment 250165
View attachment 250166
Answer c is wrong.

Hi Rugerts.

Answer A is correct. But answers for B and C are both incorrect.
(Answer for B is asking for current I1)

I1 + I2 = Is
where I1 and I2 are both unknown, and Is is the 5 amps you correctly calculated.

The method I learned was then to write an equation for the voltage rise and drops as you "walk" around a closed loop from the battery's positive terminal to its negative terminal. Are you familiar with that method?

CPW said:
Hi Rugerts.

Answer A is correct. But answers for B and C are both incorrect.
(Answer for B is asking for current I1)

I1 + I2 = Is
where I1 and I2 are both unknown, and Is is the 5 amps you correctly calculated.

The method I learned was then to write an equation for the voltage rise and drops as you "walk" around a closed loop from the battery's positive terminal to its negative terminal. Are you familiar with that method?
Are you saying to use Kirchhoff's Voltage Law to find i1? In doing so, I get: -160+ 40i1 + 8i1 = 0 -> i1 = 3.33 A. Could I use a voltage divider to find the voltage across the 60 ohm resistor or no? FYI the loop was the outermost one.
Doing this for the 60 ohm resistor and choosing a loop as the lower left hand triangle, I get a voltage across 60 ohm resistor to be 120 V.

Hi again.

Ok. The loop rule I mentioned is what you have obviously been taught (Kirchhoff's Voltage law). I see your equation:
-160 + 40i1 + 8i1 = 0.

But you made an easy mistake in that equation.
The current throught the 8 ohm resistor is not i1, but rather it is iS = 5 A (the same as the current through the battery). Make sense?

With that equation fixed, you should be able to correctly calculate i1 to be 3 A.

I agree with your calculation of the voltage across the 60 ohm resistor: 120V.

One thing that helps me with circuit problems when a resistor is shown diagonally, is to re-draw it without the diagonal.

1. What is equivalent resistance and how is it calculated?

Equivalent resistance is the total resistance of a circuit when multiple resistors are connected together. It is calculated using the formula Req = R1 + R2 + ... + Rn, where R1, R2, etc. are the individual resistances in the circuit.

2. How do you find the current flowing through a resistor?

The current flowing through a resistor can be found using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). Therefore, I = V/R.

3. How do you determine the voltage drop across a resistor?

The voltage drop across a resistor can be determined using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). Therefore, V = I x R.

4. Can resistors be connected in series and parallel?

Yes, resistors can be connected in series and parallel. When resistors are connected in series, their equivalent resistance is the sum of their individual resistances. When resistors are connected in parallel, their equivalent resistance is calculated using the formula 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn.

5. How does the equivalent resistance change when resistors are connected in series or parallel?

The equivalent resistance increases when resistors are connected in series, as the total resistance in the circuit increases. On the other hand, the equivalent resistance decreases when resistors are connected in parallel, as the total resistance in the circuit decreases.