Finding the net field strength due to a line of charge

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
Ocasta
Messages
40
Reaction score
0
I want to apologize ahead of time for my apparent inability to get LaTeX to display properly.

Homework Statement


prob2-33.png


λ = 3.8 x 10^(-6) C/m

R = 32m

r = magnitude of the hypotenuse (the book's convention, a poor choice IMHO)
r = [itex]\sqrt{R^2 + x^2}[/itex]

k = 8.988 x 10^9

P:(0,-32)

cosθ = x/r

a→∞

Homework Equations


[itex]dE = λk \int_0^a \frac{dx}{r^2}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution



We're supposed to figure out the overall field strength, which is finite.

[itex]dE = λk \int_0^a \frac{dx}{r^2}[/itex]

[itex]dE_x = λk \int_0^a \frac{dx}{r^2} cosθ[/itex]

[itex]dE_x = λk \int_0^a \frac{dx}{r^2} \frac{x}{r}[/itex]

[itex] dE_x = λk \int_0^a \frac{xdx}{r^3}[/itex]

[itex] u = R^2 + x^2 → \frac{du}{2} = xdx[/itex]

[itex] dE_x = λk \int_0^a (u)^{-3/2} du[/itex]

[itex] dE_x = λk [ -2 u^{-1/2} ]_0^a[/itex]

[itex] dE_x = -2λk [ (R^2 + x^2)^{-1/2} ]_0^a[/itex]

[itex] dE_x = -2λk [ \frac{1}{\sqrt{R^2 + x^2}} ]_0^a[/itex]

[itex] dE_x = -2λk [ \frac{1}{\sqrt{R^2 + \inf^2}} - \frac{1}{\sqrt{R^2}} ][/itex]

[itex] dE_x = -2λk [ 0 - \frac{1}{\sqrt{R^2}} ][/itex]

[itex] dE_x = -2λk [ \frac{1}{R} ][/itex][itex] dE_x ≈ -2.13465 x 10^3[/itex]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good, though the sign is important to how you're defining your coordinate system. Make sure your coordinate system is the one the program is looking for.
 
I literally pasted all the information I was given. >.< Do you have any guidance as to how to figure out what coordinate system I should use?
 
I mean, typically we would define y is being up and x as being right. But you could do any permutation of those. I guess I don't understand what your questions about the problem are.
 
So I talked to my Physics professor, and he took a look at it. Evidently I forgot to carry over an x.

Ocasta said:
[itex]dE = λk \int_0^a \frac{dx}{r^2}[/itex]

[itex]dE_x = λk \int_0^a \frac{dx}{r^2} cosθ[/itex]

[itex]dE_x = λk \int_0^a \frac{dx}{r^2} \frac{x}{r}[/itex]

[itex] dE_x = λk \int_0^a \frac{x dx}{r^3}[/itex]

[itex] dE_x = λk \int_0^a \frac{x dx}{(R^2 + x^2)^{3/2}}[/itex]

[itex] dE_x = λk [ \frac{-1}{\sqrt{R^2 + x^2}} ]_0^a[/itex]

[itex] dE_x = λk [ \frac{-1}{\sqrt{R^2 + ∞^2}} - \frac{-1}{\sqrt{R^2 + 0^2}} ][/itex]

[itex] dE_x = λk [ 0 + \frac{+1}{\sqrt{32^2}} ][/itex]

[itex] dE_x = λk \frac{1}{\sqrt{32^2}}[/itex]

[itex] dE_x ≈ 1.0673 * 10^3 \frac{N}{C}[/itex]

Why the solution is positive still confounds me.
 
Last edited:
Ah, whoops, that is easy to do. Yeah, I didn't really check all your steps, just that the integration was correct.
 
Mindscrape said:
Ah, whoops, that is easy to do. Yeah, I didn't really check all your steps, just that the integration was correct.

The most frustrating part is that I apparently was correct the first time, but the answer they wanted was positive rather than negative. But looking at the problem, the vector is clearly negative in the X and Y directions!