Friction between a pre-tensed steel hoop and a cylinder

In summary, the designer attempted to use Laplace's Law to calculate the friction on a cup holder made out of a ring of steel hoops, but struggled with the extremely high strain values. He eventually found a more accurate approximation by modeling the hoop as two semi-circles with a hinge. The friction is then a function of the new radius.
meldraft
Hey all,

I am designing a cup holder. It is supposed to be made out of a few steel rings. Its geometry is such that the hoops can open (so the radius increases), and you place the cup inside. Then, as the hoops spring back, they press upon the cup and the friction holds it in place as you lift the entire thing.

Making some rough assumptions (good accuracy is really not important at this point, I just want an order of magnitude), I thought I could use Laplace's Law for a cylindrical container, since my problem is basically the inverse (pressure is pointing inwards instead of outwards):

[tex]σ=\frac{PR}{t}[/tex]

where σ is the hoop tension, P the pressure of the hoop to the cup, r the radius of the ring, and t the ring's thickness. To simplify the problem a little, I can assume that my rings are infinitely thin (not in the radial direction where I do have thickness. in the z-direction.). Therefore, if N is the total normal force (and this is tricky, because the vector sum is 0):

[tex]P=\frac{N}{L}[/tex]

so P is a distributed force (Newton/m), much like a beam problem.

Now, since this is an elastic phenomenon, I used Hooke's Law, saying that:

[tex]εE=\frac{PR}{t}=\frac{NR}{Lt} => N=\frac{εELt}{R}[/tex]

Let traction be fmax:

[tex]fmax=μN[/tex]

By combining the last two equations:

[tex]fmax=\frac{μεELt}{R}[/tex]

I would have been perfectly fine with this result, but for strains above ε=10^-6, this formula yields outlandishly high values of friction. For instance, for ε=0.7, I would get something like 0.4 GigaNewtons. I probably went wrong somewhere, but I really can't locate the mistake! I would be grateful for any advice you can give me!

P.S. All calculations were done in SI, so this is after the units check :P

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You said "its geometry is such that the hoops can open so the radius increases".

If that means the hoop is split rather than continuous, your whole calculation is wrong. You should be treating the hoop as a curved beam, which will be orders of magnitude more flexible than a continuous ring.

If you try enlarging the diameter of a metal ring by forcing a cone shaped object into the hole, you will soon discover it does need a very large force!

Even if the ring is continuous, you are ignoring the flexibility of the cup. If it's a plastic cup, it will will be compressed (and possibly buckle) rather than the ring expanding.

Thank you for your reply!

You are right, the hoop is not continuous, and of course this explains the immense stress needed to open it (duh!)

My geometry is actually a helix, and I thought I could approximate it with circles, but apparently there is a deficiency in that plan.

I have to sleep now, so I'll post an update in the morning :tongue:

After many hours of thinking :biggrin:, I modeled the hoop as two semi-circles with a hinge. I got the friction as a function of the new radius, which yielded about 16 Newton per hoop, which is pretty reasonable, considering the assumptions :tongue:

I might try a more accurate model in the future, but for now I am happy :approve:

Thanks again for offering your insight!

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your design for a cup holder and your calculations for the friction between the steel hoop and cylinder. Based on your description, it seems like you have a good understanding of the problem and have approached it using appropriate equations.

One potential issue with your calculations could be the assumption that the rings are infinitely thin. While this simplification may be helpful for initial estimations, it may not accurately reflect the real-world situation. The thickness of the rings could have a significant impact on the distribution of hoop tension and therefore the friction force.

Additionally, it may be worthwhile to consider other factors that could affect the friction force, such as the surface roughness of the rings and cylinder, and any potential lubrication or wear between the two surfaces.

I would also recommend double-checking your units and ensuring all values are consistent and in the correct SI units. Sometimes small errors in units can result in large discrepancies in the final result.

Overall, it seems like you have a good understanding of the problem and have made appropriate calculations. However, it may be beneficial to further refine your assumptions and consider all factors that could affect the friction force in order to get a more accurate result.

I hope this helps and good luck with your cup holder design!

1. What is friction and how does it affect the interaction between a pre-tensed steel hoop and a cylinder?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of two surfaces in contact with each other. In the case of a pre-tensed steel hoop and a cylinder, friction occurs when the hoop and cylinder are in contact and can affect the motion of the hoop.

2. How is friction between a pre-tensed steel hoop and a cylinder measured?

Friction can be measured using a device called a tribometer, which measures the force required to move one surface over another. In the case of a pre-tensed steel hoop and a cylinder, the force required to move the hoop over the cylinder can be measured to determine the friction between them.

3. What factors can affect the amount of friction between a pre-tensed steel hoop and a cylinder?

The amount of friction between a pre-tensed steel hoop and a cylinder can be affected by factors such as the surface roughness of the materials, the amount of force applied, and the speed at which the hoop is moving over the cylinder.

4. How does the angle of contact between a pre-tensed steel hoop and a cylinder affect friction?

The angle of contact between a pre-tensed steel hoop and a cylinder can affect friction by changing the amount of surface area in contact between the two objects. A larger angle of contact can result in more surface area and therefore more friction, while a smaller angle of contact can result in less friction.

5. What are some real-life applications of studying friction between a pre-tensed steel hoop and a cylinder?

Studying the friction between a pre-tensed steel hoop and a cylinder can have practical applications in industries such as automotive, manufacturing, and construction. This research can help engineers design more efficient and durable structures, improve the performance of machinery, and reduce wear and tear on moving parts.