Heat exchanger problem in Thermodynamics.

In summary: To find the mass flow rate of the steam, you can use the same equation, but with the values given for the oil instead. In summary, to solve this problem, you will use the equation of heat energy transfer to calculate the mass flow rate of the cooling water and the steam, using the given values for each substance.
HollowScar
Hi!

I get the basics now, but this problem has got me stumped. I am trying to figure out where to start.

Homework Statement

In a heat exchanger, cold water flows through the tubes of the exchanger. It enters at 5.5°C, and leaves at 65°C. In the shell of the exchanger steam is being condensed. The steam enters at atmospheric pressure and 100°C, and the condensate that is formed leaves the exchanger before it can be cooled. The flow rate of the steam is 15.0 kg/s. What is the cooling flow rate?

Homework Equations

Oil flows through a heat exchanger at a flow rate of 125 L/min. It enters at 20°C and leaves at 75°C. The oil has a specific heat of 2.84 kJ/kgK and a relative density of 0.8. The oil is being heated by steam. The steam enters the heat exchanger at 100°C and the condensate formed leaves the heat exchanger at 85°C. Calculate the mass flow rate of the steam.

The Attempt at a Solution

First thing we know is that cool water flows through the tube, and exits as warm water. In the shell, steam is being condensed. So basically water turns into steam.

Q (cool water absorbing heat) becomes hot water.
Q = mcΔt + mLv + mcΔt (water becomes steam)

The idea is solid, but I am not sure how I take the above, and find the flow rate. For all I know, those two are different categories.

Thank you for your help. I am this close to finishing up the course, so stumbling at this point does hurt, but the help which I receive will mean a lot to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
To solve this problem, you will need to use the equation of heat energy transfer, which is given by: Q = mcΔT. This equation states that the heat energy transferred (Q) is equal to the mass (m) of a substance multiplied by its specific heat capacity (c) and the change in temperature (ΔT). In your case, the cold water is absorbing heat from the steam, so you can calculate the flow rate of the cooling water using this equation. You know the mass flow rate of the steam (15.0 kg/s), the specific heat capacity of the water (4.18 kJ/kgK), the temperature difference between the inlet and outlet temperatures of the water (5.5°C - 65°C), and the heat energy transferred (Q). You can rearrange the equation to solve for m, the mass flow rate of the cooling water, which you can then use to calculate the flow rate in L/min.

Related to Heat exchanger problem in Thermodynamics.

1. What is a heat exchanger?

A heat exchanger is a device that transfers heat from one fluid to another, without mixing the two fluids together. It is commonly used in various industries, such as power plants, refrigeration systems, and chemical processing plants.

2. What is the purpose of a heat exchanger?

The main purpose of a heat exchanger is to transfer heat from one fluid to another, in order to either heat or cool a substance. This can be used to increase or decrease the temperature of a process fluid, or to recover waste heat from exhaust gases.

3. How does a heat exchanger work?

A heat exchanger works by having two fluids flow in close proximity to each other, separated by a conductive material such as metal. Heat is transferred from the higher temperature fluid to the lower temperature fluid, without the two fluids mixing together.

4. What are the different types of heat exchangers?

There are several types of heat exchangers, including shell and tube, plate and frame, and air-cooled. The type used depends on the specific application and the properties of the fluids being heated or cooled.

5. What are some common problems with heat exchangers?

Some common problems with heat exchangers include fouling, which is the accumulation of deposits on the heat transfer surface, and corrosion, which can occur due to the presence of corrosive substances in the fluids. Another issue is thermal stress, which can occur if there is a large temperature difference between the two fluids. Regular maintenance and cleaning can help prevent these problems.