Heating of liquid when pressure 1bar-->5000bars

In summary: Hi, I'm looking for some information on how water behaves under pressure.In summary, Paavo Palikka found that water does not compress much when pressure is increased to 5000 bars. This is because the pressure causes the liquid to heat up.
Paavo Palikka
Hello!

I have some troubles finding a way to estimate how much temperature of liquid would rise when it is suddenly adiabatically pressurized to thousands of bars. In normal conditions liduids such as water are considered to be incompressible, but certainly not in 5000 bars. Because water (or any other liquid) gets compressed, also some heat should be generated. But how to calculate it and what are the constants? I am just curious about the magnitude of temperature rise, is it more like +0,1K, +1K or +10K. Of course this depends strongly on liquid, but I am interested of any liquid just to get idea how to calculate magnitude of temperature rise.

-Paavo Palikka

Science news on Phys.org
(1) I once designed a one shot impact absorbing device for a large test rig .

Basically a piston in cylinder device using hydraulic fluid . When activated pressure in cylinder went in a fraction of a second from not much to somewhere in region of 65 000 psi . That's about 4480 bar . Hardly got warm .

(2) Hydraulic systems working at 10 000 psi (690 bar) are common and there are some systems working at very much higher pressures . Pumps generally get warm after a period of use but they don't normally get excessively hot . Most of the heating actually comes from the fluid passing through the valves and from bearing heating - not much comes from the actual pressurisation .

Thank you for your answer Nidum!

Even heat 1-->5000bar does does not get device warm, I would be interested how this could be calculated theoretically. I forgot to say that this is rather theoretical question,

.Paavo palikka

A "generic" compressibility for water is 30 ppm/atm.. Help you any?

Bystander: Not really, but thanks for trying to help.

Bystander's answer should really help. You just use the first law of thermodynamics, with the work equal to pdV. To do this, you need to have the PVT equation for the material, and this is where Bystander's answer comes in. You also need to look up the general equation for the effect of pressure on the internal energy of a material.

Chet

Related to Heating of liquid when pressure 1bar-->5000bars

1. How does increasing pressure affect the heating of liquid?

As pressure increases, the molecules in a liquid become more tightly packed and have less room to move. This results in an increase in temperature, as the molecules have more collisions and transfer more energy to each other.

2. Is there a limit to how much a liquid can be heated by increasing pressure?

Yes, there is a limit to how much a liquid can be heated by increasing pressure. This is known as the critical point, which is the temperature and pressure at which the liquid and gas phases of a substance become indistinguishable.

3. How does the type of liquid affect the heating under high pressure?

The type of liquid can greatly affect the heating under high pressure. Some liquids, such as water, have a higher boiling point under high pressure, while others, like alcohol, have a lower boiling point. This is due to the different intermolecular forces and structures of each liquid.

4. What safety precautions should be taken when heating a liquid under high pressure?

When heating a liquid under high pressure, it is important to use appropriate equipment designed for high pressure, and to follow proper safety protocols. This may include wearing protective gear, working in a well-ventilated area, and using a pressure release valve to prevent explosions.

5. Can the heating of liquid under high pressure be used in practical applications?

Yes, the heating of liquid under high pressure has various practical applications. One example is the use of autoclaves, which use high pressure and heat to sterilize medical equipment. It is also used in the food industry for high pressure processing, which can preserve food and improve its quality.