Which Linear Actuator is Best for a Sliding Gate at a Cottage?

In summary, a linear actuator would be a good option because it has a longer effective stroke and is designed for heavy-duty use.
Kapitonov
I want to put myself a linear actuator on the sliding gate to the cottage. I looked in the internet, there are a lot of offers and the prices are very different. Maybe there are people here who understand this and can advise me what type of actuator is better, manufacturer and where to buy? I will be very grateful.

Likes James Nilsen-Misra
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.Are you opening and closing the gate?

How heavy is it?

You could probably use a rotary actuator ratchet than linear.

How far does the gate need to move? I think chain and sprocket systems are used commonly for that...

http://www.globalmarket.com/product-info/chain-drive-automatic-sliding-gate-motor-1759806.html

I still stuck with this problem. Can't decide which is better. Any help?

berkeman said:
Those linear actuators have stroke lengths a lot less than 3m. How are you going to lengthen the effective stroke to open that 3m gate?

I thought to attach it not close to the far side of the gate.
Or use something like telescopic tube,

Here's what the local airport uses for a gate about the size you mentioned:
Gate Opener.jpg

The manufacturer is Tymetal: https://www.tymetal.com/. This particular gate is controlled by detector loops in the road, plus the airport manager has a remote for it. There are pushbuttons inside the panel. This is a heavy duty gate designed for many years of use in a climate with summer temperatures over 90 deg F, and winter temperatures less than -30 deg F. So it will not be cheap.

1. What is a linear actuator?

A linear actuator is a mechanical device that converts rotary motion into linear motion. It is typically used to move or control a load in a straight line, and can be powered by electricity, hydraulics, or pneumatics.

2. What factors should I consider when choosing a linear actuator?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a linear actuator include: the required speed and force of movement, the type of power source available, the size and weight of the load to be moved, and the environmental conditions in which the actuator will be operating.

3. What are the different types of linear actuators?

There are several types of linear actuators, including electric, hydraulic, and pneumatic actuators. Electric actuators use an electric motor to drive the linear motion, while hydraulic actuators use pressurized fluid and pneumatic actuators use compressed air.

4. How do I determine the appropriate size and stroke length for a linear actuator?

The size and stroke length of a linear actuator will depend on the specific application and the load it needs to move. It is important to carefully consider the required force and speed, as well as the weight and dimensions of the load, to determine the appropriate size and stroke length for the actuator.

5. Can I customize a linear actuator for my specific needs?

Yes, many manufacturers offer customizable linear actuators to meet the specific requirements of a particular application. This may include custom stroke lengths, mounting options, and other features to ensure the actuator is well-suited for the intended use.