How do I approach resistors 7-9 and 10-12 in a resistor network?

In summary: EEIn summary, this online Java based lab lets you build simple DC circuits and measure the voltage and current across the circuit.
Sanctam

Homework Statement

So I got this homework to do, and I've pretty much figured it all out using a bus diagram, except for one part. I don't know how to approach Resistors 7 through 9 and 10 through 12. The only idea that I have is that they equalize between 7 and 8, and 10 and 11.

untitled-1.jpg

This is the only idea I have as far as a bus diagram:

Phys2.jpg

One last thing: Just a check on how to find the currents at E and D: Do I just add up all the currents traveling along each separate loop?

Homework Equations

Ohm's Law: V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not know where to begin

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

First of all let me say that problem looks inhumane.

As to your interest in R7 R8 R9 and R10 R11 R12 isn't that a short across the bunch of them? So no current, no voltage difference for any of them, as all the nodes in that part of the network would measure as 24v wouldn't they?

As to your currents the sum of the currents entering a node are the same as those exiting ... but I will have to leave the numbers for you to work out.

Thank you so much! I can definitely do the numbers, I was just wondering about the concept. And it is inhumane, this is only like our 3rd day working with resistors!

1. What is a resistor network?

A resistor network is a group of multiple resistors connected together in a specific configuration to achieve a desired resistance value. It is commonly used in electronic circuits to control the flow of electric current.

2. How do I troubleshoot a resistor network?

To troubleshoot a resistor network, you can follow these steps:

• Check the connections between the resistors and make sure they are properly connected.
  • Use a multimeter to measure the resistance of each individual resistor and compare it to the expected value.
  • If there is a significant difference, replace the faulty resistor.
  • If the resistors are all in good condition, check for any loose or damaged components in the circuit.
  • If the issue persists, consult a professional for further assistance.

3. What are some common problems with resistor networks?

Some common problems with resistor networks include open circuits (where there is no flow of current), short circuits (where there is an unintended path for current to flow), and incorrect resistance values due to damaged or faulty resistors.

4. How do I calculate the total resistance of a resistor network?

The total resistance of a resistor network can be calculated using the following formula:

1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... + 1/Rn

Where R1, R2, R3, etc. are the resistances of each individual resistor in the network. Once you have calculated the total resistance, you can use Ohm's Law (V = IR) to determine the current flowing through the network.

5. Can I combine resistors in a network to achieve a specific resistance value?

Yes, resistors can be combined in series or parallel to achieve a desired resistance value. In series, the resistances are added together, while in parallel, the inverse of the resistances are added together and then inverted again. It is important to note that the total resistance of a network will always be less than the smallest individual resistor in the network.