How Does Helium's Entropy Change After Slow Isothermal Escape?

• Thread starter mewmew
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Entropy
OUNT OF HEAT FLOWED OUT IS EQUAL TO WORK DONE BY GASIn summary, the problem involves a gas escaping from a slightly open valve over the weekend. The gas was originally at 200 atm and escaped isothermally at 20 degrees C. To find the change in entropy per kg of gas, the equations dS = dQ/T and dQ = PdV are used, with the latter equation being equal to the work done by the gas. The amount of heat flowed out is equal to the work done by the gas.
mewmew
Here is the problem:
"A careless experimenter left the valve of a tank of helium slightly open over the weekend. The gas, originally at 200 atm, slowly escaped isothermally at 20 degrees C. What change in entropy per kg of gas occured? " I am given, K, N, and Mass of helium per mole.

I am stuck because all I know is:

Delta S = N k Ln[Vf/Vi]
and
P=NkT/V

I can't seem to figure out how to make these work though given the problem at hand. How do I find out what N-final and V-final are? That is assuming I even need to find those out to solve this problem. :rolleyes: Any help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
mewmew said:
Here is the problem:
"A careless experimenter left the valve of a tank of helium slightly open over the weekend. The gas, originally at 200 atm, slowly escaped isothermally at 20 degrees C. What change in entropy per kg of gas occured? " I am given, K, N, and Mass of helium per mole.

I am stuck because all I know is:

Delta S = N k Ln[Vf/Vi]
and
P=NkT/V

I can't seem to figure out how to make these work though given the problem at hand. How do I find out what N-final and V-final are? That is assuming I even need to find those out to solve this problem. :rolleyes: Any help is greatly appreciated!
Use dS = dQ/T

[tex]\Delta S = \int ds = \int dQ/T = \Delta Q/T[/tex] where the heat flow occurs at the same temperature.

You just have to find the heat flow in expanding 200 times (ie pressure going from 200 atm to 1). Use the first law:

[tex]dQ = dU + PdV = nC_vdT + PdV[/tex]

since T is constant, dU = 0 so dQ = PdV

So the heat flow out of the gas is equal to the work done by the gas. What is the work done by the gas?

AM

Related to How Does Helium's Entropy Change After Slow Isothermal Escape?

1. What is the entropy problem in thermodynamics?

The entropy problem in thermodynamics refers to the fundamental question of how and why entropy, a measure of disorder or randomness, increases over time in a closed system. This is in contrast to other physical laws, such as conservation of energy, which state that energy remains constant in a closed system.

2. Why is the increase of entropy considered a problem?

The increase of entropy is considered a problem because it seems to contradict the principle of the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases. This creates a paradox where the laws of thermodynamics predict that the universe will eventually reach a state of maximum entropy or disorder, known as "heat death," which goes against our observations of the universe.

3. How is entropy related to the arrow of time?

The increase of entropy is closely related to the arrow of time, which is the concept that time only moves in one direction, from past to future. The second law of thermodynamics explains that the increase of entropy over time is what gives us the sense of a "direction" to time, as the universe moves towards a state of maximum entropy. This is why we observe that events in the past seem more ordered than those in the future.

4. Can the entropy problem be solved?

There is ongoing debate and research on whether the entropy problem can be solved. Some scientists argue that the increase of entropy is simply a natural consequence of the laws of thermodynamics and is not a problem that needs to be solved. Others suggest that new theories or extensions of current theories, such as the holographic principle, may provide a solution to the entropy problem.

5. How does the entropy problem relate to the origin of life?

The entropy problem is also linked to the origin of life, as the increase of entropy makes it difficult to explain how living organisms can maintain their highly ordered and complex structures. Some theories propose that the decrease of entropy within individual organisms is offset by an increase of entropy in the surrounding environment, maintaining the overall increase of entropy in the universe. Others suggest that life itself may be the key to solving the entropy problem, as living organisms are constantly creating order and decreasing entropy within their own systems.